What's the most sledgehammer-ly DiMarzio?

• 2 Replies

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
What's the most sledgehammer-ly DiMarzio?
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
Got a 1989 USA Neck Through Warlock here.  It came with matching vintage DiMarzio PAFs.  Expected it to have a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Here's what I want from a hot bridge humbucker- I want it to hit with a broad, all-at-once battering ram kind of sound.  Not a stab, but a bludgeon.  I know this means ceramic.

I've used the Super 3 before and I think that's a great candidate, my only concern being that it's a bit of a one trick pony.  I can live with that since this is supposed to be my dedicated metal guitar.

I'm curious about the Dominion bridge.

Other suggestions?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: What's the most sledgehammer-ly DiMarzio?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
Based on what and how your describing what you’re looking for, the Super 3 would be more of a sledgehammer than the Dominion.

It might help if you talked more about what you want that you’re not getting from the Super 3....and/or other pickups you’ve tried.

The Titan sort of comes to mind.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
Re: What's the most sledgehammer-ly DiMarzio?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
Well the Super 3 is really stunted on the top end.  Very compressed=no detail.  It's got the power and speed, but it overtakes the guitar's natural tone.

Honestly that's kind of what DiMarzios do in my experience, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.