Bluesbucker in the bridge and a whistle

• 3 Replies

Offline bobmc

• View Profile
Bluesbucker in the bridge and a whistle
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
Hi guys,
Started a new project this weekend doing some loud early punk/new wave in a power trio format (we had an absolutely blast BTW).
I used my HH Tele (36th Anny neck, Bluesbucker bridge) with my normal signal chain which includes a Sparkle Drive Mod3 at just under halfway gain setting into my tweed deluxe clone.
Twice the rig produced a really high pitched whistle that I couldn't isolate; unsure if it was frequency related, distance to amp, etc..
It has occurred to me that this was as loud as I have played since installing the Bluesbucker this summer; any opinions on that PUP being the culprit?
I hope not, the tone was a big part of the fun.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Bluesbucker in the bridge and a whistle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:12 AM »
Might be valve/tube related. Maybe check your preamp valves and see if any are on their way out?

Offline bobmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »
Good advice; thanks.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:17:24 AM »
To check whether the pickup is the culprit is relatively easy: does the high pitched whistle also occur with the neck pickup at the same amp/pedal settings? If yes, it is not pickup related.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b