PAF 36th Anniversary neck output

• 5 Replies

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
Noob question, I'm planning to get a PAF 36th dp103 + illuminator bridge for my Ibanez RG. Volume-wise do you think the paf3th neck will pair well with the illuminator bridge? Will there be any noticeable volume drop? I have tried using an HFH + Evo combo in the past, and the humbucker fromhell (226 mV output) pairs well with the hotter Evo bridge.

Thank you all!!!
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: PAF 36th Anniversary neck output
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Really depends on what your goals are for the neck position.

Another thing to consider is a mV output only goes so far when considering the voicing of the pickup.

Generally speaking, a safe thing to do might be to buy them new and exercise the exchange policy if it doesn’t work out.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
I have a Super Distortion bridge and a PAF 36th Anny in my LP.....let me tell you....for a “vintage output” pickup amp the 36th Anny is frikkin’ powerful. It surprised me. It can absolutely keep up with the SD.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:50:56 AM »
Another thing to consider is a mV output only goes so far when considering the voicing of the pickup.

+1. A bright pickup tends to appear louder than a darker pickup.

To OP: you should also keep in mind that string movement is greater in the neck position than in the bridge position, which is the reason why with two identical pickups for neck and bridge, the neck pickup will be louder, unless you adjust pickup heights accordingly. This is also the reason why SD and PAF have become a classic combination. So unless you pair a high output high treble pickup in the bridge with a PAF, which is neither high output nor high treble, volume balance should not be an issue.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »
Thanks! I'm from the Philippines unfortunately we don't have an exchange policy. I'll go ahead and get the paf36th and report back.
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
As noted, neck pickups will be louder by nature of string amplitude than the same pickup in the bridge. 

Also, pickup height makes a HUGE difference.  You can balance a Tone zone with HS2s by adjusting pickup height.