Single coil HSH search

• 2 Replies

Negatron

Single coil HSH search
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
I’m putting together a HSH set. I’ve decided on the Illuminator set for the bridge and neck.
But I’m a little unsure for the middle.
Now I never use the middle pickup by itself (although I probably should try it more). I only use it together with the bridge or neck split for clean tones.

What would be a good option for this?
All that springs to mind is the True Velvet middle and the ISCV2. From what I’ve read both are RWRP as standard so I shouldn’t have a problem with hum-canceling. But both pickups are different and I have no experience with either.

Any options would be greatly appreciated, not just these pickups. 
My only criteria is the I can get hum-canceling when split with the humbuckers.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Single coil HSH search
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:21:25 AM »
You can use two options:

1) True single coil.
A humcancelling linkage with the split humbuckers is possible, depending on the magnet orientation and wiring but these things can be changed with not too much effort. The middle position alone will not be humcancelling though.
I believe your pre-selection of pickups is good but I have not played either of them so I cannot comment on their tones.

2) Humcancelling
A humcancelling pickup would give you the option of a silent middle pickup alone. If you split the pickup in positions 2 and 4 you could get a significant reduction of hum as well. In that case I would consider the Virtual Vintage 54 Pro or the Injector neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Single coil HSH search
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
I hated the true velvet in every Ibanez guitar it came in. It was the thinnest plinkiest single coil I have ever heard. I like the Area pickups a lot, the 61 and 58 being my favorites. I also like the Cruiser. Problem is, I don't know what the Illuminators sound like, so I can't tell you what would match it.