The Titan Bridge in an Alder John 5 tele?

• 7 Replies

Offline D20

• View Profile
The Titan Bridge in an Alder John 5 tele?
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
Anyone here have the Titan bridge pickup in an alder body guitar? I've heard really good things about the Titan pickup, but want to see if anyone has an experience with it in alder?

I've had a D Activator before and it was kinda ice picky in the highs, and want to try something else.

Offline colejustesen

• View Profile
Re: The Titan Bridge in an Alder John 5 tele?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:54:18 AM »
I have two sets of Titans and they are in mahogany body/maple cap guitars. They sound perfect in those woods to me; I would be a bit hesitant to put them in alder to be honest. I imagine they could work, but you might experience some similar bridg brightness as the Deactivators.

I think the Titans are great pickups!

Cole

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Sonically the Titan is a lot more mid heavy than the D-Activator and the brightness of the wood would help it cut through a bit more. Although that would depend on the amp. I have a set in an Ibanez RG8670 (mahogany body with maple cap) running through an Egnater seminar head which is basically a modded JCM800 and I always felt like the Titans could use a tad bit more top end.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
I like the Titan set.  I think it's a little overlooked in some instances by being associated with a band that may pigeonhole it a little bit.  There's more going on with the Titan than the "Periphery" sound.

My pal Devin also did a write-up on it HERE, which is actually what got me interested in considering it.

The D-Activator is groovy and I like it a lot.  I think when people see John 5 using it, they may or may not factor in how much he may downtune for some songs.  I think the Titan also has a focused attack, but thicker and meatier...if that makes sense.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline D20

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies so far!!!

So i think i have decided against the Titan now in Alder.

I'm thinking more of either a D Activator or possibly the Dominion in the bridge. I do tune down for the music i write/play. drop C#, drop C and then A# G C F A D

What do you guys think would sound better in Alder? The DA or the Dominion?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
I’d lean toward the D Activator with drop tunings like that.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline D20

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
Sonically the Titan is a lot more mid heavy than the D-Activator and the brightness of the wood would help it cut through a bit more. Although that would depend on the amp. I have a set in an Ibanez RG8670 (mahogany body with maple cap) running through an Egnater seminar head which is basically a modded JCM800 and I always felt like the Titans could use a tad bit more top end.

I'll be running through an Axe Fx II XL. I usually use either a 5150 amp model or a Recto model. I like a good thick heavy guitar tone.

Offline D20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
I’d lean toward the D Activator with drop tunings like that.

I had the DA in a JP100 guitar at one point. I did like it in that guitar. I know John 5 uses it too in his guitars as well. I guess since i have 2 J5 teles i'd like one to be for heavier stuff and the other to be just stock.