CLEAN & CHORDS: Tone Zone or Norton?

• 9 Replies

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
CLEAN & CHORDS: Tone Zone or Norton?
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
So I've tried both pickups before, and have extensive Tone Zone experience.  I elected to go with a Norton in the bridge of my PRS McCarty 594, specifically because I'd used the TZ so much in the past, and wanted to retain the option of a slightly lower output PAF sound in the bridge, with enough power and immediacy to do the metal thing also when needed (I play a lot of variety).

Out of the gate, I'm regretting the Norton and wishing I'd stuck with the Tone Zone.  Despite its higher output and bass, I feel the TZ has more natural, less honky sounds for cleans and light grit, and a less honky nasal lead tone.

I play a lot of double stops in my lead playing, and my rhythm/lead uses lots of "small chords," three-note chords on strings  2-4 and 1-3.

Anyone else weigh in on this?

General TZ vs Norton discussion welcome always:)

Gaucho

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: CLEAN & CHORDS: Tone Zone or Norton?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
If I was going for less honky, I would avoid the Tone Zone. The Air Zone sounds better for what you are describing.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:15 AM »
I'd agree that honky is a very good word to describe the Norton. It didn't work for me either but of course, so much of the tone is in the wood of the guitar, the amp, the cab etc.

I second Greenlions suggestion of the AZ. I'm the biggest TZ fan and I feel it can do pretty much anything but in this case AZ or possibly a Breed Neck would be what I'd choose.

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
I've done the Air Zone, which I refer to as the Castrati Tone Zone:). Like a Tone Zone minus everything that makes it great.

Besides the honk issue, any advice on medium output pups that are great for triads?

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »
Maybe the Steve's Special?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:19 AM »
I think being able to play certain chords and having it sound clean and clear har more to do with the amp and/or the pedals.

But the Steves Special is a good suggestion for chordplaying since its not congested (ie lacks) in the mids. However thats all it's good for IMO. Hate it for leadplaying but then I'm a midrange junkie.

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
I think being able to play certain chords and having it sound clean and clear har more to do with the amp and/or the pedals.

But the Steves Special is a good suggestion for chordplaying since its not congested (ie lacks) in the mids. However thats all it's good for IMO. Hate it for leadplaying but then I'm a midrange junkie.
I hear all that.  I play more low gain than saturated so the SS makes sense, but yes it's very flat.

I'm leaning towards trying more of the newer neck pups in the bridge, which was DiMarzio Tech's suggestion.  Transition neck, Liquifire (amazing bridge pickup, though can be a bit flat/sterile like the SS), Gravity Storm neck.  I need an endorsement so I can try em all:)

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
and a less honky nasal lead tone.

I HATED, HATED, HATED the Norton, until I tried it with a 1.5M resistor from hot to ground on a 500k pot so I get about 375k load on it. 

Holy sh*t what a difference.  Now I LOVE it, provided it sees that load.  All the nasal things and screech are gone, what's left is great.

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
Damn that's a headache! But sounds like in your case it's worth the payoff.

The Norton sucked nuts in my PRS, all honk and piercing high end with no sparkle or depth/dimension, yet also not a hard punch for metal-the best of no worlds.

I think I'll go back to the Tone Zone.  It has more power, more dimension, and more upper detail.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:37 AM »
I prefer the Tone Zone myself, but the Norton is pretty good in my book