Need help choosing a middle pickup

• 4 Replies

Offline wiiqwertyuiop

• View Profile
Need help choosing a middle pickup
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
Hi, I was just looking for help on deciding on a middle pickup for my guitar. It is a pretty dark sounding guitar made out of basswood.

The pickups I'm getting are:

Bridge: Dimebucker

Middle: ?

Neck: Injector Neck

I was looking for something darker sounding to compliment the Dimebucker but is still brighter/different sounding from the Injector Neck.

The Area pickups look way to bright and I was thinking of maybe going with a Virtual Heavy Blues 2 but was worried if that is too dark and wouldn't sound much different from the Injector Neck. Thanks!

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Need help choosing a middle pickup
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »
An injector in the middle will sound different from the one you put in the neck. It will be a bit brighter. The chopper might work for you. The Area pickups will be brighter, as will the Cruiser neck. The Cruiser bridge might work for you in the middle.

Offline wiiqwertyuiop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
Good suggestions, thanks, how is the chopper with clean tones?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
The chopper is not my favorite for cleans. For that I like the Cruiser or Area pickups. The chopper is pretty powerful, so you won't have a big drop off in volume in the middle position, but it is definitely geared more toward rock.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:40 AM »
I would get another Injector neck for the middle position. As greenlion said the fact that it is in the middle position will make it sound different than the one in the neck spot.

BTW: One of my HSS strats is set up with a VV HB2 in the neck, an Injector neck in the middle and a humbucker in the bridge but I would be just as happy with two Injector necks.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b