Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement

• 4 Replies

Offline BridgerHumbucker

• View Profile
Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:42:15 PM »
Hello
I plan on changing my Squire Jaguar's single coils to 2 Dimarzio humbuckers (a Steve Morse in the lead and a Super 2 in the rhythm) I've found more than a few wiring schematics for the Jaguar, but was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with changing singles coils to Humbuckers on Jaguars? It would seem pretty straight forward ( just replacing hot and ground wires) but I was wondering if anyone had any advice ( or alternate wiring diagrams?).
Thanks

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring suggestions for Jaguar pickup replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:56:22 AM »
Apart from the bigger routes needed for full size humbuckers the wiring can be the same as for single coils if you only want the three standard tones as from any guitar with two pickups and a three way switch (i.e. bridge pickup series, neck pickup series, and both pickups in parallel).

You will need more switches or a different switch if you want alternative wirings (say pickups in single coil mode or in parallel mode, or both pickups in series, out-of-phase sounds and so on). There is an abundance of wiring diagrams on the DiMarzio support site alone. Which to use is mostly a personal preference. I would ask myself the following questions:

1. Which tones do I want? Divide into "must haves" and "nice to haves".
2. How fast do I want to access them? In a live situation it can be a PITA if you have to operate two switches to change tones. 

The dual tele mentioned above has an Eyb 5-way megaswitch type E which gives me the following combinations which I find most useful and easily accessible:

1. Bridge humbucker in series mode
2. Bridge humbucker split (split connection not directly to ground but through a 2.2k resistor like the old PRS DGT wiring)
3. Both humbuckers split
4. Neck humbucker split (split connection not directly to ground but through a 1k resistor like the old PRS DGT wiring)
5. Neck humbucker in series mode

The Eyb type E switch also allowed me to put a 470k resistor from its pin 1 to ground in #2 and 4 to bring down the load from 500k (the volume pot I used) to about 240k, which fits the single coils nicely and takes away the ice-pick. This is possible because pin 1 is the terminal where the middle pickup in a three pickup set up would be connected to so if I put a 470k resistor there it is only connected in #2 and 4 and inactive in all other positions.

You can basically view #2,3,4 as the standard tele combinations with #1 and 5 as "extras" but I find that I am mostly using #1, 4 and 5, then the other two.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline BridgerHumbucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »
 I'm going to just wire it straight up ground and hot, nothing fancy. I was just wondering with the spread out wiring system of a Jaguar, if there was anything to look out for.
For this kind of wiring, is the standard Dimarzio 4 wire system apply ( I know the Steve Morse is 4 wire and pretty sure the Super 2 is also) Can I ask, which wires are soldered together again ( its been awhile and i dont have the original inserts for the pickups)  If I remember right bare and green to ground, red to hot and white and black soldered together and taped off?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:07:13 AM »
I'm going to just wire it straight up ground and hot, nothing fancy. I was just wondering with the spread out wiring system of a Jaguar, if there was anything to look out for.
For this kind of wiring, is the standard Dimarzio 4 wire system apply ( I know the Steve Morse is 4 wire and pretty sure the Super 2 is also) Can I ask, which wires are soldered together again ( its been awhile and i dont have the original inserts for the pickups)  If I remember right bare and green to ground, red to hot and white and black soldered together and taped off?
Yes.

Offline BridgerHumbucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »
Gotchya
 thanks!