Any fans of the super 2, super 3 set?

• 10 Replies

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
Any fans of the super 2, super 3 set?
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »
Been playin around with swapping the pups in my Jackson for awhile, but haven't had the time or money and am interested in these two. I've mentioned before that I like my Evolution in the bridge, but I want more low end thump, like my Illumminator in my ESP and I thought maybe the Super 3 would fit the bill. On the neck I want something clear for solos and was gonna try a paf pro, but from what I can tell the Super 2 does the same sort of clear shreddie neck pickup thing, while maintaining the super disortion vibe, which seems cool for a matched set. Of course this speculative interest and I won't know until I try it, but for those who have the combo, what did you think?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Any fans of the super 2, super 3 set?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
I've used the Super 2 in the neck.  and I am using a few Super 3s in the bridge.  but not as a set, so I cannot speak to them that way.  but it does look like your question is more about the Super 2 in the neck.

my experience is that the Super 2 in the neck is pretty hairy.  some dudes like it, so try it out if you have it.  for my preferences, I'd go with a PAF Pro in the neck.

however, if you have an Illuminator neck, have you already tried it in that spot?  if it doesn't suit what you want, you'd at least have a point of reference to work from.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Darth! I've never tried the Illuminator neck, my ESP (which is the one with the illuminator bridge) has a gravity storm in the neck and the Jackson has an Air Classic in the neck. I've stayed away from the Illumintor neck as I tend to prefer bright neck pickups. In fact my Gravity storm tends to stay in parallel.

If possible I tend to use single coils in the neck, but unfortunately my main guitars are HH config, so I thought maybe the super 2 could at least provide the treble response that I like, even if it doesn't sounds like a single coil. I suppose the Humucker from hell fits what I've described as well, but reviews are pretty mixed for that one.

The only question I have about the Super 3 is whether it can keep up with the Illuminator as far as thick palm mutes go and does it remain articulate enough for leads? I don't use my Jackson as much because the Evo just sounds so wimpy compared to the Illuminator, but I don't want an Illuminator in both guitars as I do enjoy some variety.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
I love those two pickups. I've recorded a lot of songs with that combo. The S2 in the neck is super shreddy and fluid and the S3 is just brutal.

Sorry for the sound, if you have Spotify these songs are on there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wQbRz64_Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT74482WJeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQFMYFRIV0

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
I've actually heard your stuff before, and loved it! I knew you used the Super 3 for those recordings, but I didn't know you used the super 2 as well.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 03:45:05 AM »
I've actually heard your stuff before, and loved it! I knew you used the Super 3 for those recordings, but I didn't know you used the super 2 as well.
Ah, cool!
Yeah, I've used the S2 a lot. I still have it in one guitar for when I want that early Gilbert shred tone.

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:51:07 AM »
Ah, cool!
Yeah, I've used the S2 a lot. I still have it in one guitar for when I want that early Gilbert shred tone.
That's exactly the kind of tone I'm going for! I've been way into staccato Paul Gilbert licks lately, but they don't sound so good on bassy neck pickups.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Then you will love it I'm sure.

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 02:11:02 AM »
I'm probably going to be ordering the replacement pickups in the next few days, and while I'm sold on the Super 2, I want a little more info on the Super 3 before I make my final decision. My amp is a mesa boogie 50 cal+ and it is super thick sounding, so I'm just wondering how the super 3 matches with that kind of sound? I'm just afraid of it being muddy through my rig and maybe something more neutral like an X2N might be a better fit or maybe even a d activator x? Again the objective is to get something with more powerful and punchy lows compared too the evolution, but I don't wanna go to far in the other direction.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 03:25:03 AM by BartOfDarkness »

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 06:06:15 AM »
For my taste the X2N is too over the top, too much output. I know Romeo uses it and gets a good tone with it but for me, nah. DAct-X I never tried but the regular D-Act is a great pickup and capable of a lot more than metal. Well balanced but not without personality. Fantastic chug but never brittle on the higher strings.
I know some people doesn't like a higher-output pickup in the neck but I dig it. I mostly solo on that so I don't mind the extra ooompfh there.

Otherwise the regular Super D is a given choice. It's THAT sound only not as dark as the Super 3 (which isn't really dark either).

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 06:43:11 PM »
Good info! Sorry I'm a little indecisive. too many pickups I wanna try and not enough guitars haha. I'll just go with the Super 3 and if I do need more highs, I could always hook it up to a meg pot.