Help me choose my Ibanez RG550DX pickups

• 4 Replies

Offline mikey_s

• View Profile
Help me choose my Ibanez RG550DX pickups
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:59:45 AM »
Hey guys, what's up?

I've recently had the chance to lay my hands over a really clean, neon purple RG550 DX (1993).

It currently has the stock Ibanez V7/V8 (and a middle single coil) installed in it, and I'd like to upgrade. Initially I was thinking about BKPs but unfortunately, they're extremely expensive.

Some of the bands and sounds I really like (spans across different types of hard rock and metal):
Whitesnake, Extreme, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Alice In Chains, Maiden, Marco Sfogli, Dream Theater, (Lalu - Atomic Ark), Periphery (Periphery 3 album), Nevermore (Jeff Loomis), Textures, David Maxim Micic, Gojira, Intervals, etc'.

I also really dig beautiful split positions 2 and 4 of guitars and find them really useful for clean arpeggio playing.

I do both rhythm and lead playing in my metal band so the pickups should cover both equally.

Originally I've been suggested to go for BKP Ceramic Nail Bomb in the bridge, Cold Sweat in the neck, and Trilogy suite in the middle position since they cover the less modern sounds above and can fit more modern sounds as well.

I'm wondering what will be the dimarzio equivalent of the above? I'm definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Miki

Offline teddybear

• View Profile
Re: Help me choose my Ibanez RG550DX pickups
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
Titan
Imperium
Sonic ecstasy
And activator-x

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
Illuminator
Dominion
Titan
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:54:35 AM »
Thats a lot of tones to try and squeeze out of one set of pickups.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
Getting convincing Maiden and Periphery tones from the same pickup is a tall order. Those two sounds are too different from each other imo. Add to that beautiful cleans and it gets even tougher.