Dimarzio stack question

• 4 Replies

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
Dimarzio stack question
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:10 AM »
Hi. I'm interested in getting a dimarzio virtual solo for the bridge position of my strat. The middle and neck pickups are fender Custom Shop 54 (non RWRP). Can I use my original pickup cover for the virtual solo? And would there be any phase issue when combined with the fender pickups?
Do I need to split the V.Solo for authentic 2nd position tone and would I need a superswitch in order to do that? Thanks.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dimarzio stack question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:34 AM »
Hi. I'm interested in getting a dimarzio virtual solo for the bridge position of my strat. The middle and neck pickups are fender Custom Shop 54 (non RWRP). Can I use my original pickup cover for the virtual solo?

Probably but I never tried so I am afraid I am not of much help here.

And would there be any phase issue when combined with the fender pickups?

No idea but any phase issues can be easily solved by either swapping the wires on the Virtual Solo (which would OK if you don't intend to split it, otherwise I recommend swapping the wires on the CS 54s).

Do I need to split the V.Solo for authentic 2nd position tone and would I need a superswitch in order to do that?

That depends on how you define "authentic". If "authentic" means to you the exact 2nd position tone as with the stock pickups, no, you will not get that either way with the VS because the stock bridge pickup is a low output pickup as the neck and middle and the VS is hotter. Will you get a useable 2nd position tone with the VS in the bridge? Yes - at least I get that to my ears. Splitting may get you a bit closer to the stock tone and may also get you a humcancelling position, depending on the polartiy of the middle pickup. And you can do that with a regular 5 way switch.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
If you have to swap wires, swap them on the stack. Single coils have the start of the coil, which touches the magnets, connected to ground. That prevents hum when you touch the magnets.

You can't really split stacked pickups, especially the virtual solos, as the bottom coil is only for hum rejection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:04:40 AM »
You can't really split stacked pickups, especially the virtual solos, as the bottom coil is only for hum rejection.

Correct. The OP intends to shut off the bottom coil to make the VS in the bridge humcancelling with the one coil of the CS 54 in the #2 position. But - if you swap the green and red wires on the VS to correct the phase and put white+black to ground you will be shunting the top coil to ground, which is why I suggested to reverse the wires on the CS 54. Good point with the magnets - I haven't thought about that. So in case there is a phase issue and we do not want to swap the wires on the CS 54 and we have to do that with the VS then you would need to put white+black not to ground but to hot in the #2 position to shut off the bottom coil. A bit more complicated but it should be doable.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
Or just get three stacked pickups. They will blend better that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk