Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
DiMARZIO RELEASES PAF® 59 NECK & BRIDGE PICKUPS
« on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
Just got the press release from DiMarzio. Looks like they're expanding their vintage line up. Makes me wonder how different they are from the PAF 36th.

Staten Island, N.Y., July 19, 2017 – DiMarzio, Inc. announces the release of PAF® 59 Neck (DP274CR) and Bridge (DP275CR) hum-canceling pickups for electric guitars.

These days, it seems as if everyone’s looking for the legendary sound and dynamics of the original “Patent Applied For” pickups. Utilizing Larry DiMarzio’s 1959 Cherry Sunburst Les Paul® for reference, DiMarzio used the same materials as 1959, gifted ears, and decades of winding experience to create the new PAF® 59 pickups.

Larry says the PAF® 59 Neck and Bridge models were built following an “old family recipe.” We started with a 2-½-inch degaussed Alnico 5 magnet. The 42 AWG enamel wire coils are un-dipped and scatter wound. They’re tuned to capture the guitar’s voice and dynamics without coloring it.

The PAF® 59 Neck and Bridge models feature Double Cream™ butyrate bobbins on our long-leg nickel/silver base plate just like the originals.

All materials are made in the U.S.A. to the tolerances of the best of the 1959 pickups.
The PAF® 59 Neck model is very responsive, and harmonics leap out. Combined with the PAF® 59 Bridge model, it’s got that smooth, overdriven, classic arena rock sound.
Like the vintage “Patent Applied For” pickups, the PAF® 59 Bridge model has perfect harmonic range with exactly the right amount of oomph. It has a subtle roll off on the top end that sweetens the highs in the bridge position.

The PAF® 59 Neck and Bridge models have the open dynamics, bright attack, smooth midrange, and rich bottom end, along with the creamy distortion of the original “Patent Applied For” pickups.

DiMarzio’s PAF® 59 Neck and Bridge pickups are made in the U.S.A., and may now be ordered for immediate delivery. Suggested List Price is $129.99 each. For more information about the new PAF® 59 Neck and Bridge pickups, please visit our website at www.dimarzio.com.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: DiMARZIO RELEASES PAF® 59 NECK & BRIDGE PICKUPS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:30 PM »
Went to buy a set today

Told they are shipping August 1st
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline teddybear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:47:30 AM »
Only 1 conductor. Cannt do coil split

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:28:53 AM »

Truly vintage ...
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »

And only long legs.

I'll probably be swapping the lead wire and mounting them on short leg base plates.

Still, I very much want to give them a shot. I think it's an excellent move to address all the vintage aspects and the double cream issue. You can almost visualize all the elitist vintage LP crowd's head exploding right now. LOL!  Plus, it takes aim at the boutique aftermarket pickups.

I've been waiting for these since NAMM,  but I might wait for some user feedback on this one.

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
I was looking at the Mojotone '59 Clone (which has gotten rave reviews), but would really like to give these a listen.

Funny how the new PAF 59s are closer in output to the (much older) Air Classics.

Offline PaulLester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »
This kinda reminds me on Virtual PAF. To me 36th is middier and hotter, and air classic is mid scopped and weaker in terms of output. Virtual PAF for me is in between this two.

When I first saw 59 PAF EQ - I was like: I need to have this (couse of Virtual PAF).
But when I heard for 1 wire thing - I gave up.

Overall, I would love to try one - just to see comparation to virtual PAF.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »
I was looking at the Mojotone '59 Clone (which has gotten rave reviews), but would really like to give these a listen.

Funny how the new PAF 59s are closer in output to the (much older) Air Classics.

I have some of those 59 Clones. I like the bridge models quite a bit. I have a normal one, a Hot one, a neck, and a full set with A3 mags (think Skinnerburst). I like their stuff. The neck is a little fuller than my own personal preference, but right in line with most other PAF neck pups out there. I've discussed them all on my site.

From DiMarzio, I definitely like the 36th more than the Master. But neither really have quite the same features as the PAF 59 set.

Offline dxlxntxxlxr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Paf 59 vs Duncan 59?
Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM Mystic Sea Green Burst (BKP Juggernauts)
Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
Laney IRT Studio

Offline PaulLester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »
Duncan 59 - no mids at all. :( Love the sound, but it kinda sucks on wood like ash or alder, it's just empty. On mahogany it's "ok", but on ash/alder - don't even try.

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 05:47:41 AM »
Double cream only???

Oh man!!

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
Paf 59 vs Duncan 59?

Most people won't know until the DiMarzio is released

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
Got mine ordered. Hopefully here next week.

Given that these were teased at NAMM and had repeated delays from an original release of March/April, they really need to be worth it.

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
Got mine ordered. Hopefully here next week.

What was the price for the set, if you don't mind my asking?

EDIT: Nevermind - I'm seeing $89-$92 on evilbay. Not bad at all, but will wait for some reviews before going with these over Mojotones.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:49:53 AM by Bucksears »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »

What was the price for the set, if you don't mind my asking?

Street price appears to be $89.99 ea

Did get a shipping confirmation, which has historically been hard to get from DiMarzio. Mine should be here Tuesday.

They appear to currently be for sale from some online vendors.

Edit:  and I do think the Mojotone 59 Clone is closer to what people expect than other models that are already out there with 59 in the name. I'm going to be totally fair with this DiMarzio set, but it will have to really win me over after how disappointed I was with the PAF Master set.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:53:51 AM by DarthPhineas »