Transition Bridge not working for me. Seeking recommendations

• 5 Replies

davesultra

First post, but have used quite a few DiMarzio pickups over the years (mostly the VV single coils). I recently acquired a virtually new EB/MM Luke III in a trade. It's a bit of a departure from the classic style electrics that I usually gravitate towards (i.e.- LP/SG/Tele). The single coils sound great, but the Transition bridge HB is about the worst pickup I've ever used. I realize that these pickups were styled after SL's tastes and rig. I find it very muddy/murky sounding and lacking dynamics. I'm sure there are many who love these, it's just not for me. What DiMarzio would give me better clarity and dynamics? Looking for something around a medium output. I use mostly "Marshally" sounding amps, and play Blues & Classic rock. Not being all that familiar with DiMarzio humbuckers I thought I'd seek advice from sources other than the website descriptions. Thanks in advance.

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
Re: Transition Bridge not working for me. Seeking recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »
I had the same problem with the transition set, sound pretty good split though. One thing you might want to try that I havent is trying them in parallel, I had them in a LP custom and then a HH ash strat but same kinda darkness but until tonight  I never thought of trying them in parallel, some of my DMZ's sound better in parallel than split, I will bet it will sound good, otherwise I would look at the 36th set or find a vhpaf if you can find them another is the AT-1, one bridge pickup I have found I really like is the duncan pearly gates plus, they are hard to find too but so clear yet ballsy. Most of my HB strat type guitars I have are equipped with a series/split/parallel mini switch and a treble bleed a mallory .001 pf cap, it just works for me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:15:52 AM by rknrollo »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
I second the Virtual Hot PAF recommendation. No longer in production but they do come up on ebay. If you don't mind a bit more output, AT-1.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
Blues and Classic Rock? I would try an Air Zone or even a Fred.

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
What DiMarzio would give me better clarity and dynamics?

I'd really consider the Fred or the Air Classic Bridge, or (but I have no experience with the following) the new Paf 59 Bridge. If you like dynamics, these pickups that don't have high power output could give you a better results, and be a better match with the single coils. But don't this guitar have some active electronics, too?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:06:35 PM by Lelik »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
I really wish Dimarzio would make a run of the Virtual Hot Paf again. I sold one years ago, and wish i had it back.