Dimarzio Injector - also for vintage sounds

• 8 Replies

limerot

Dimarzio Injector - also for vintage sounds
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
By chance - I tried the Injector bridge model, and it is one of my favorite pickups. Ordered a neck version to try out, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1IZqVJp1u0
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:31:19 PM by limerot »

Offline Strat_O_Holic

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Injector - also for vintage sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
These pickups are awesome, they do vintage sounds so well. Through a Fender amp they are magic, a little fatter than a vintage wind, a little warmer but I've never had anyone say "your Strat sounds like a$$ man...". The neck is sweet and round sounding and the bridge is smooth and bright but not too bright, it's actually usable on a clean sound. Great for open soundscape with delay and reverb.

Through Marshall amps they have enough output to actually drive the amp and the bridge doesn't cut your ears off with the high end. For best results I always use a boost to match the output of a humbucker and classic rock is easy as pie.

Through Mesa amps you can get brutal crushing tone out of it (bridge), you have to use a boost of some sort to hit the first preamp tube and I will roll the tone control off to around 7 (bridge). The neck pickup through a high gain amp is kind of a cross between a PAF and a single coil. The tone is more like the PAF while the pick attack still has single coil attributes. It is definitely my favourite pickup for high gain neck pickup lead playing.

These are definitely the most versatile Strat pickups I've ever heard and I love playing metal with a stock looking Strat and getting comments on how my guitar sounds that way.

Where they really shine is on clean and bluesy sounds. But then again they sound great through everything. A boost is a must for classic rock and metal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:52:22 AM »
I only used the Injector neck so far. Had it in the neck spot of two different guitars where it both sounded good. I finally moved it to the middle spot where it also excels, especially with a medium to high output bridge humbucker. Actually, since I changed necks on that guitar, that makes it two guitars with the Injector neck in the middle. Highly recommended, especially with 500k pots.

I never played the Injector bridge. I do have a Virtual Solo in one of my strats in the bridge.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Gavron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
Definetely check Injector Neck with...1MOhm volume pot. Don't believe in myths, jutr try!-very focused sound, tight bass, open (not shrill) highs.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 05:09:35 AM »
Good suggestion. However I found that 1M pots make the pickups sound rather dull when I turn down the volume pot unless I put a treble bypass (aka treble bleed) on the pot. But since I also have the treble bypass with the 500k pot that should not be a problem - it is just a matter of finding the right values.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Gavron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
Definetely darkbluemurder. 1mohm vol pot+kinman treble bleed (I'm using micro pot in bleed circuit instead of resistor to fine tune).

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
I keep thinking about trying the injectors, but Paul's tone always sounds so harsh to me. Every demo I have seen him do with those sounds brash and harsh.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
I keep thinking about trying the injectors, but Paul's tone always sounds so harsh to me. Every demo I have seen him do with those sounds brash and harsh.
Maybe it has something to do with his hearing loss. Maybe he dials in more treble in his tone than you like. I had the Injector Neck and didn't find it harsh. That said, I don't think it sounds like a vintage pickup at all. Ymmv.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »

Maybe it has something to do with his hearing loss. Maybe he dials in more treble in his tone than you like. I had the Injector Neck and didn't find it harsh. That said, I don't think it sounds like a vintage pickup at all. Ymmv.

I think we are seeing/hearing that with more and more players. For example, Lynch's tone has been getting more and more shrill. Same with Schon's.

I'm with you, I have an Injector neck and don't find it harsh. 
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram