Another pickup suggestion request

• 5 Replies

Offline cloudstrife5671

• View Profile
Another pickup suggestion request
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to blast you with another thread like this, but I'm trying to decide which pickup to use in the middle section.  Here's what I currently have:

Neck: PAF Joe
Mid: ------
Bridge: Mo'Joe

Body: Swamp Ash
Neck: Maple 22 Fret
Fretboard: Rosewood

Pretty much, I'm wondering if I should stay with the theme and put the Satch Track there, but I worry if it wont gel well, being designed for the neck spot in a 24 fretter.

Would maybe something like the Chopper or Air Norton S work better?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Another pickup suggestion request
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:47:32 PM »
Depends on what you want the middle position to do. If you want yet another humbucker tone, you could use the chopper or Air Norton S. It is more common to use a lower output middle pickup so the combined tones don't become too thick. The Area pickups, Cruisers, and Injectors would be a good place to start. You didn't say what tones you are after or what guitar/amp you have.

Offline satch_jr

• View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:50 AM »
I used to pair a paf joe with a virtual vintage 54 pro (DP408), they worked well together (I did not split the paf joe though)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
I used to pair a paf joe with a virtual vintage 54 pro (DP408), they worked well together (I did not split the paf joe though)

+1. the VV 54 Pro is great for the middle position and should balance well with your humbuckers.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline cloudstrife5671

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
You didn't say what tones you are after or what guitar/amp you have.

Whoooops, yeah, it was late, I was braindead and left a lot of info out.  My bad completely.

I'm going for a fairly versatile guitar, but I play a lot of prog stuff, and some fusion.
Guitar is a PRS Swamp Ash Special, so vintage trem. 
Amp is  a Hughes and Kettner tubemeister.

The reason I had started with a rails humbucker in the bridge is because I've already got the push/pull tone pot, so I was considering going for a 3 humbucker setup with a split all type pull, like in this diagram (for some pseudo-stratish tones):

1 Volume, 1 Push-Pull Tone (Split All); Neck, Neck & Middle, Middle, Bridge & Middle, Bridge
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:04:52 PM by cloudstrife5671 »

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »
Imho the Chopper could give you more flexibility. And you could consider also a superswitch so that you could wire the Chopper in parallet and split (connecting only one blade) in position 2-4. Or even you could split both the neck and the bridge humbucker, too, when you select the position 2-4 of the switch. So that you'd get a kind of Strat sound in those position, without the need of further switches.
When you wire those split position, it can happen that you have to reverse the hot/ground wires of one pickups if they are out of phase.