Anybody ever try ceramic in an aired pickup?

• 3 Replies

Offline eclecticsynergy

• View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
If airing can make an A5 sound & feel more like an A2, what might it do for ceramic? I'm thinking perhaps it could soften the attack a bit, and mitigate the ceramic's highs in a pickup that wasn't wound as hot as most typical ceramic designs.

Maybe find a sort of middle ground between ceramic & alnico characters?

Just brainstorming here. But I happen to have an extra Air Norton sitting around and wonder whether it's be worth trying. I'd love to hear from anyone who's experimented with this.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
All the air gap does is reduce the strength of the magnet slightly. 

Ceramics are typically stronger than AlNiCo magnets, so you might get something that sounds like an A5 if you use a C8.

Ceramic magnets don't increase the induction the way AlNiCo does since it's not metallic. So that will further change the tone between the two.

Only way to know is to try it. I'd imagine it will take a bit if top end off the tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eclecticsynergy

• View Profile
Re: Anybody ever try ceramic in an aired pickup?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »

Ceramics are typically stronger than AlNiCo magnets, so you might get something that sounds like an A5 if you use a C8.

Ceramic magnets don't increase the induction the way AlNiCo does since it's not metallic. So that will further change the tone between the two.

Only way to know is to try it. I'd imagine it will take a bit if top end off the tone.

Yah, I would expect it to mellow the treble a little. But you don't think it's likely to soften the fast attack/tight feel of the ceramic, give it a looser, slightly "bouncier" feel? I haven't bonded with ceramics, for the most part because they always seem a little stiff to me. Perhaps A8 might be a better candidate for this swap.

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Anybody ever try ceramic in an aired pickup?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »

Yah, I would expect it to mellow the treble a little. But you don't think it's likely to soften the fast attack/tight feel of the ceramic, give it a looser, slightly "bouncier" feel? I haven't bonded with ceramics, for the most part because they always seem a little stiff to me. Perhaps A8 might be a better candidate for this swap.

Maybe. I tend to like brighter pickups so I use ceramics quite a bit.