pickups for evh wolfgang japan 2010

• 6 Replies

Offline Francoevh

• View Profile
pickups for evh wolfgang japan 2010
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Hi! I ve recently bought a second hand evh wolfgang special made in japan (2010), with non original humbuckers (they are SD,jazz model for the neck, and custom custom for bridge ). I don't really like the sound. Im looking for something similar to eddie's tone in the early nineties, when he was using an EBMM (i know that the axis humbuckers are not being sold separetly from that guitar). What would you recommend? I heard that dimarzio air norton for the neck and AT-1 for the bridge position are the closest, have someone tried them out toghether?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:36:55 PM by Francoevh »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: pickups for evh wolfgang japan 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
Hi! I ve recently bought a second hand evh wolfgang special made in japan (2010), with non original humbuckers (they are SD, im looking for the exact model right now). I don't really like the sound. Im looking for something similar to eddie's tone in the early nineties, when he was using an EBMM (i know that the axis humbuckers are not being sold separetly from that guitar). What would you recommend? I heard that dimarzio air norton for the neck and AT-1 for the bridge position are the closest, have someone tried them out toghether?

Part of it will also be the guitar. As in, how similar/different is the guitar you have to the old EBMM EVH?

Are you playing through the same type of amp?

Knowing the rest of the rig can factor in to the pickup selection/suggestion.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Francoevh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »
Hi! I ve recently bought a second hand evh wolfgang special made in japan (2010), with non original humbuckers (they are SD, im looking for the exact model right now). I don't really like the sound. Im looking for something similar to eddie's tone in the early nineties, when he was using an EBMM (i know that the axis humbuckers are not being sold separetly from that guitar). What would you recommend? I heard that dimarzio air norton for the neck and AT-1 for the bridge position are the closest, have someone tried them out toghether?

Part of it will also be the guitar. As in, how similar/different is the guitar you have to the old EBMM EVH?

Are you playing through the same type of amp?

Knowing the rest of the rig can factor in to the pickup selection/suggestion.

At the time im using a little peavey rage 158 (15W, transtube series). I know it may be the guitar too, they are quiet similar, but not the same. I couldnĀ“t afford a EBMM axis, so i went for the evh wolfgang special, a japanese one, i feel really confortable with the neck, so my idea was to get a better tone of the humbuckers.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
Im looking for something similar to eddie's tone in the early nineties, when he was using an EBMM (i know that the axis humbuckers are not being sold separetly from that guitar). What would you recommend? I heard that dimarzio air norton for the neck and AT-1 for the bridge position are the closest, have someone tried them out toghether?

I always thought that he used something similar to the the Tone Zone and the Air Norton but I would definitely prefer the AT-1 over the Tone Zone any day. Air Norton in the neck would be a bit too dark for me but if it is a bright guitar acoustically it might work. My preferred choice from the DiMarzio line would be the BluesBucker but Air Classic neck would be a pickup I would want to try personally (have not yet).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Francoevh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »

I always thought that he used something similar to the the Tone Zone and the Air Norton but I would definitely prefer the AT-1 over the Tone Zone any day. Air Norton in the neck would be a bit too dark for me but if it is a bright guitar acoustically it might work. My preferred choice from the DiMarzio line would be the BluesBucker but Air Classic neck would be a pickup I would want to try personally (have not yet).

Cheers Stephan
[/quote]

Thank you!

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 04:23:29 PM »
If you're willing to do mods, I've read that the Tone zone half air is very similar to the Axis pickups.

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:39 AM »
Years and years ago, Steve Blucher sent me an Air Norton and an Air Zone for my Peavey Wolfgang. They sounded amazing in that guitar and I wish I still owned it.
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N