Pickup suggestions

• 19 Replies

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Pickup suggestions
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
Hey all! I'm looking fornpickup suggestions for a Les Paul into a Splawn Quickrod.
Currently I'm using BKP Rebel Yell but they have a bit too much treble/too end response. I really like the midrange the Splawn gets so I definitely don't want to mess with that aspect. Just want to tame some harsh high end.
I'm thinking about the Breed, injector, D activator, gravity storm...
Thoughts?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Pickup suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
What type of tones are you going for?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
Rock/hard rock. I like a very healthy dose of gain but I'm not a modern metal guy per se. I like some of the 80's type metal tones.  Dio, Maiden and even some hair metal type stuff.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Pickup suggestions
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
Ok, so this guy's tone is amazing...the gain gets way hot but if I could get something resembling this I'd be thrilled...I know the Quickrod has this tone in it.
I realize these are Suhr pups but imo they are a bit overpriced...great product but I know Dimarzio has something that is just as good.

https://youtu.be/VMxd0VGXfjQ
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:00:44 PM by gtrjunior »

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
And also...Jerry Cantrell has some sick tone too...I'd like something like his.

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »
Then there's this guy's tone...
https://youtu.be/u_DFsM-w-xw

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:33:23 AM »
The Rebel Yell is a pickup with lots of top-end and bite for a medium output pickup. Can be too much depending on the guitar/amp combination. For the tones you linked I would choose the AT-1. Has the broad midrange and the harmonics but the top end is smooth and not harsh.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
Pickup suggestions
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 05:20:22 AM »
That looks like a really good choice....I completely missed that pickup.
Yes, the Rebel Yell is a great pickup but it does have a bit too much top end for my Quickrod.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:24:10 AM by gtrjunior »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
Consider the Dominion
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
I actually ordered a Gravity Storm last night on the recommendation of DiMarzio.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:57 PM »
Cool - please let us know how it turned out.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
I will....I read some online comparisons to a JB. I don't necessarily dislike the JB but it's not necessarily what I'm looking for. The YouTube clips I've listened to don't, to my ears sound like like a JB but we shall see

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
The JB is a pickup that I have mixed experiences with. Had the first one in the 80s. It sounded OK in two different guitars but nothing special at all. Had the second one in the 90s that came with a guitar I bought. I did not like it at all - liked both the Tone Zone and Breed bridge much better in that guitar. I sold it later together with a different guitar where I did not like it either.

Fast forward to last year - I got one cheap on eBay as the seller sold it as defect. Turned out to be it was fully functional. I put it in a guitar that was too tame and bam - it came alive. So my conclusion is that the JB is very picky about the guitar it is in.

Cheers Stephan

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
Would you say the Gravity Storm is, in you're opinion similar to the JB?

Offline gtrjunior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
Just got a email from the Dimarzio tech that recommended the GS....he had asked if I was interested in a neck pup as well and in his email said that many newer Gibson Les Paul's have an F-spaced bridge design now....SO. I've got to go measure it and if I made a mistake I need to get in touch with the dealer I ordered from and get the F-spaced instead....friggin' Gibson.