I just lowered the height of my Tone Zone....

• 16 Replies

Offline kefka84

• View Profile
Re: I just lowered the height of my Tone Zone....
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
I would suggest to start at about 3mm from the 6th string and 2mm from the 1st string and tweak from there. Really, there is no hard and fast rule to set it as it depends on the guitar, the player and his rig. The only hard and fast rule is that you don't want it so close to the strings that the magnet pull grabs them since this could cause out of tune overtones and loss of sustain. A starting point is helpful if you get lost.

Good luck,
Stephan

Thank you very much, I'm going to try this.  :)

Offline eclecticsynergy

• View Profile
Re: I just lowered the height of my Tone Zone....
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
Just a comment: I haven't found a spec that works for me on all pickups & guitars; my method is the old fashioned seat-of-the-pants one, using my ear- starting very low, I'll raise it 'til it sounds good, raise it more 'til it doesn't, then lower it back to where it sounds best. I feel it helps to hear the whole range before settling on a final position.

One thing to remember if setting to a predetermined height- you measure it with the string fretted at the highest fret.

It's also worth mentioning that on guitars which don't have have individual volume controls for the pickups, height adjustment is a way of fine-tuning the balance in combined switch positions. Sometimes when pickups are set for the best tone on their own, the in between positions aren't ideal. A bit of tweaking can sometimes improve this noticeably.