Air Classic set

• 8 Replies

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Air Classic set
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Been a while since I've posted anything (more like years) but I just got these and I got to give my 2 cents.  These have got to be the best sounding pickups I've played nice balance, split nicely and can be used in any situtation.  You can hear every string, every note as they dont seem to blur together.  The marshall patch on my eleven rack roars and then cleans nicely when you back down the volume knob.  Cleans are whatever you what them to be, the neck in full humbucker almost sounds stratty, the second position on the switch yields almost a funky bright tone you can almost hear some quack there, 3rd position is like a paul.  It took me a long time to pull the trigger on these and now I'm glad I did.  Keepers for sure!
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

marcwormjim

Re: Air Classic set
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
+1. Those who play only high-output pups don't know what they're missing. These have been my favorite Dimarzio offering ever since I bought a Vigier Shawn Lane that had them running through 1M pots.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
Cool. I just ordered an Air Classic Neck for the bridge position on my HSS Ibanez Andy Timmons. I'm hoping it will play nicely with the singlecoils seeing that it´s way lower output and a bit scooped compared to whats in there now.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:26 AM »
Been a while since I've posted anything (more like years) but I just got these and I got to give my 2 cents.  These have got to be the best sounding pickups I've played nice balance, split nicely and can be used in any situtation.  You can hear every string, every note as they dont seem to blur together.  The marshall patch on my eleven rack roars and then cleans nicely when you back down the volume knob.  Cleans are whatever you what them to be, the neck in full humbucker almost sounds stratty, the second position on the switch yields almost a funky bright tone you can almost hear some quack there, 3rd position is like a paul.  It took me a long time to pull the trigger on these and now I'm glad I did.  Keepers for sure!

I like the zebra look on that guitar. Have fun with it!
Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:31 AM »
Cool. I just ordered an Air Classic Neck for the bridge position on my HSS Ibanez Andy Timmons. I'm hoping it will play nicely with the singlecoils seeing that it´s way lower output and a bit scooped compared to whats in there now.

Good move. I only had the chance to play the Indonesia made variant and thought that AT-1 in the bridge way overpowered the Cruisers. Depending on what I wanted out of such guitar I would either change the singles to something hotter (Injector neck or VV Heavy Blues 2) or do what you did and go lower output on the bridge pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »

Good move. I only had the chance to play the Indonesia made variant and thought that AT-1 in the bridge way overpowered the Cruisers. Depending on what I wanted out of such guitar I would either change the singles to something hotter (Injector neck or VV Heavy Blues 2) or do what you did and go lower output on the bridge pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Yup! Since I wanted this guitar to have authentic singlecoil tones I've already changed the pickups once so now it has True Velvets and a VHPAF. Love the TV's so they are staying. I really dig the VHPAF too but it's still too hot and middy to match well with the TV's.
I actually emailed the Dimarzio Tech about it but that guy must've been on crack that day. He suggested the PAF Master Bridge which is even hotter and middier than the VHPAF.
I'm hoping the ACN will save the day cuz the TV's are definitely staying!

Offline jmcorey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »

Yup! Since I wanted this guitar to have authentic singlecoil tones I've already changed the pickups once so now it has True Velvets and a VHPAF. Love the TV's so they are staying. I really dig the VHPAF too but it's still too hot and middy to match well with the TV's.
I actually emailed the Dimarzio Tech about it but that guy must've been on crack that day. He suggested the PAF Master Bridge which is even hotter and middier than the VHPAF.
I'm hoping the ACN will save the day cuz the TV's are definitely staying!

Actually, no. The PAF Master is brighter and less middy than the 36th Anniversary neck, which is close to the VHPAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:28:27 AM by jmcorey »

Offline eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
Howdy,

Congrats. Air Classics remain the best HBs I've played in my 39 years of playing bad Guitar.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 12:33:13 AM »

Actually, no. The PAF Master is brighter and less middy than the 36th Anniversary neck, which is close to the VHPAF.

Actually the VHPAF is very close to the 36th bridge, not neck. 

Air Classics are friggin awesome, some of the best PAFs out there.  I don't think you'd need the neck version in bridge to match with singles though.  With a 250k vol, the bridge version matches nicely with singles in the 6k range.