neck pickup input

• 10 Replies

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
neck pickup input
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
hello all
             new here first post...need some input for a neck p.u...guitar in question: ibanez usrg30,i have a few of them all original but one..the one im changing pickups on..i installed a dp100 s.d in the bridge position and a gravity storm in the neck..wired it like all the other usrgs guitars..i wanted more bite and output and the dp100 did it..but the gravity storm neck didnt do the job.
              the guitar came originally with tone zones in the bridge and paf pros in the neck..direct mounted.. with 1 volume 1 tone and a 5 way super switch..guitars sound great...just looking for more bite and tighter bluesy sound..any input ..thanks

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: neck pickup input
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:57:05 PM »
I always likes the bluesbucker in the neck. Alternatively you could do with a Super2. It pairs up extremely well with the Super Distortion.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »
Hi,

If you want more bite and tighter sound for the neck, try out the Humbucker from Hell. It's not the high output monster the name will have you believe but it's pretty tight and pretty biting. If you find yourself in need of more volume out of it, you can jack it up and slam it real close to the strings, as it has a weak magnet it's not going to be pulling them strings, and it will still stay tight and articulate.

HTH,
Cory

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
thanks fellas...i do have a humbunker from hell laying around..and a paf pro...not easy raising the p.u on a direct mount...i will test the pickups i have on hand..figured id ask to have more of choice ...and personal taste of a neck p.u.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:00 AM »
I have to second Budds advice and get a Super 2. Its a perfect match with the Super Distortion. It´s hot, bright and tight. Another one you could look at is the D-Activator Neck. None of these I'd characterize as "bluesy" but hey, thats certainly more in your playing style than the pickups.

That said I do love the TZ/PP combo. Its one of my absolute favorites and super versatile.
And I love those USRG's! Some of the nicest-looking guitars Ibanez ever made.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
After trying the pups you have on hand, please follow up with you thoughts on those.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »
If you want more bite and output than the Gravity Storm, the Breed neck could be what you are looking for (at least going by specs). Please note that I never played a GS neck but I recently installed a Breed neck in a dual humbucker telecaster which absolutely kills for fat singing lead notes on the top strings. For the output it has it is quite tight but of course not as tight as a lower output model like e.g. the Bluesbucker.

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:54:47 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
i will write my opion on the p.a.f and h.f.h..once i wire them in some different schemes... i also got a response from dimarzio recommending  Dominion in the neck...never play a guitar with a Dominion..

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:26:14 PM »
well..p.a.f...was what I expected because of my other usrg30s having them..humbucker from hell..was ok..might throw that one in my les paul for a try..the Dominion is wonderful something to it that makes it alive and attacking..this guitar sounds different ..more harmonics and warmth at times if that sounds right..

Wrath of nature

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »
     Hey there

If you wanna dive in the uncharted depths? I'd say, but don't quote me, get a
DUAL SOUND (bridge) and a EVO 2 in the (neck).

Offline w2dodge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »

Hey there

If you wanna dive in the uncharted depths? I'd say, but don't quote me, get a
DUAL SOUND (bridge) and a EVO 2 in the (neck)

i just might...im setting up a Fender usa floyd rose model i bought new back in 92...i removed the neck ..gonna try a musikraft custom..and 2 hum..pickup set up..thanks