Bridge humbucker: Air Classic vs 36th Anni vs VHPAF

• 9 Replies

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Bridge humbucker: Air Classic vs 36th Anni vs VHPAF
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:14 AM »
I know there are a few old threads on this but I'd like some more input on how they compare to each other tone- and gainwise.
If you´ve played any of these and A/B'd please feel free to chime in.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Bridge humbucker: Air Classic vs 36th Anni vs VHPAF
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:04:15 PM »
I've had the VHPAF and the 36th Anniv Bridge in the same guitar, if that helps.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »
Absolutely! What are your impressions of them and how do they differ? I've only had the 36th in the neck.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
I discussed the 36th Bridge HERE and the VHPAF HERE, if that helps with any background on my thoughts.  and there's one thread here that covers it ( http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5169.0 ).

when I asked DiMarzio about something they offer that'd fit into a Jimmy Page comparison, the 36th set is what was suggested.  yeah, I don't hear it all that much either, but I went with what they suggested so the brand could be represented.

also, as of early 2016, I was told there were some still available.  when I called back to order more (I think it was within a week) they were singing a different song.  I don't know if they sold out in those few days or if they decided they didn't want to sell them at all any more.

anyhoo.... with regard to my thoughts on the VHPAF and the 36th Bridge in the same guitar.  they are scary similar and I can see why they say to use the 36th Bridge in place of the VHPAF.  I ran my LCR meter on both of them and the #s are also incredibly close.

to the guy that's a DiMarzio aficionado and just has to have the VHPAF, then definitely track one down.  to the garden variety player, they'd have to be up into fart-sniffing territory to split the hairs.  is there a difference?  yeah.  would I like to have more VHPAFs?  yep.  am I going to open a vein about it?  pfft, far from it.

anything I can say about the differences would be nothing compared to the similarities.  I can say there's a little bit of this in the 36th Bridge and a little bit of that in the VHPAF, but I'd not want to see it blown out of proportion.

but at the end of the day, I agree that they should re-release the VHPAF and keep it on the menu.  just like the original DP103 PAF.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
Cool, thanks bro.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
I had the Vhot and 36th at the same time, and while the numbers may have been the same, I remember them being very different pickups. I liked the Vhot much better, and was disappointed when they discontinued it. I have kept an eye out for one for a few years and have not seen one.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:39:06 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Greenlion.

It's funny, when comparing the VHPAF vs 36thAP either people say they're pretty much identical, or they sound nothing alike. Maybe they react very differently to the wood of the guitar? For example I don't like the way the AT-1 sounds in basswood but in alder it's a completely different story.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Greenlion.

It's funny, when comparing the VHPAF vs 36thAP either people say they're pretty much identical, or they sound nothing alike. Maybe they react very differently to the wood of the guitar? For example I don't like the way the AT-1 sounds in basswood but in alder it's a completely different story.

I had them both in a maple body, maple neck, maple board, with a Floyd. It's a fairly neutral maple, not super bright like most would expect from maple. Single Bourns 500k pot.

The AT-1 is one that I tried once in a basswood back with maple Top (EBMM Axis).

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Which one is more tight? 36th PAF bridge?

Offline teddybear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »
Which one is more tight? 36th PAF bridge?
Paf master bridge more tight.