Old SDS-1

• 3 Replies

Guitar_Presence

Old SDS-1
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
I have this very old single coil Dimarzio that I think is an SDS-1 but there is not enough info on their site for me to confirm. Anyone know the history of their early pickups?
The timing is about right, I was modifying Strats when it was something new to do, before this people only bought replacement parts from Fender (or who ever the manufacturer of the given guitar was). The timing was right, probably around 1978.
Anyway it has been sitting in a box for a very long time.
The large magnet on the bottom of the pickup is so deep that I had to router out the Strat to fit it. It has hex pole pieces and I remember it had a lot of gain. The wires are black and white. Resistance is about 9.55k
Thanks

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Old SDS-1
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:54:22 PM »
All I remember from the description was that it had a rather high output for a single coil, and it also sounded quite a lot darker than a regular single coil

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 03:47:49 AM »
Correct on all counts. Mine is exactly like described.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline ant_riv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
Your description is spot on for an SDS-1.
The only thing you left out is that back then, it was only available in their creme color.

They are very P-90-ish when the volume is on 10, but become much more strat-like at about 7.