Too boomy Evolution neck

• 18 Replies

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
Re: Too boomy Evolution neck
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
I had the same problem with Evolution neck and added a capacitor in series. Now it is perfect!
Cheap and simple fix.

Oh yeah. That definitely might work too. Never knew why I never thought of this at the time of commenting. To be honest though, I never thought the Evolution neck was every boomy. But I guess we all hear things differently, and maybe even using the same pickup on different guitars may yield different results.

IMO, sometimes what people call "boomy", that could be tweaked by the pickups and electronics, or even changing the saddles and/or bridge assembly to a different material or to a better quality one
Tried this pup on a couple guitars. Every time it sounds boomy. Tried tweaking its screws, height. No drastically result.

Offline satch_jr

• View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 03:35:10 AM »
I guess I understand what you all mean by boomy. But was the EVO neck installed on a 22-fret or 24-fret guitar?
I've noticed the position (also the wood of course, smaller impact tough) really changes the bass EQ of a pickup. I remember having tested a long time ago a JS1000 with a paf pro in it: I found it too boomy, but I bought many years later a paf pro which was in a 24-fret RG and I founded it too thin. The EVO neck for me is great because even the low notes are percussive enough and this is what I was searching for.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »
I had the same problem with Evolution neck and added a capacitor in series. Now it is perfect!
Cheap and simple fix.

Oh yeah. That definitely might work too. Never knew why I never thought of this at the time of commenting. To be honest though, I never thought the Evolution neck was every boomy. But I guess we all hear things differently, and maybe even using the same pickup on different guitars may yield different results.

IMO, sometimes what people call "boomy", that could be tweaked by the pickups and electronics, or even changing the saddles and/or bridge assembly to a different material or to a better quality one
Tried this pup on a couple guitars. Every time it sounds boomy. Tried tweaking its screws, height. No drastically result.

I see. Lastly, have you tried it through a different amp setup or whatnot?

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
I guess I understand what you all mean by boomy. But was the EVO neck installed on a 22-fret or 24-fret guitar?
I've noticed the position (also the wood of course, smaller impact tough) really changes the bass EQ of a pickup. I remember having tested a long time ago a JS1000 with a paf pro in it: I found it too boomy, but I bought many years later a paf pro which was in a 24-fret RG and I founded it too thin. The EVO neck for me is great because even the low notes are percussive enough and this is what I was searching for.
As on 22 fret guitar so on 24. Wish I this pickup has less bass and more high-mids.