Too boomy Evolution neck

• 18 Replies

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
Too boomy Evolution neck
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
Hi!
While Evo 2 and Original Evolution my favorite bridge humbuckers I am not happy with Evolution neck. It is too boomy for me whatever guitar, strings, amp I used with it.
Is it possible to mod this pickup to reduce its lows or low mids. Magnet swap, pole screws or base plate change? I like modding. And modded all my instruments.

...and if it is impossible to brighten up this pickup what pickup I should use for neck? I've tried long time ago LiquiFire and Paf Joe. Liked them. Even LiquiFire was not bassy like evo neck. But these pickups were on basswood guitars. So I do not know will they work on my alder guitar and will they match good with Evo 2 on bridge. I play mostly old school heavy metal and neo-classical shredding. And wish neck humbucker sound with some single coil bite. More close to Malmsteen sound as  it possible with humbucker.

But first priority for me it is make Evolution neck more bright. Make it less boomy and do not loose power.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:18:02 PM by Orkhan Julfa »

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Too boomy Evolution neck
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
I dunno how to make the pickup less bassy but if you want an articulate, hot neck pickup for shred - Super 2. It's damn near perfect; super clear for those sweep/tap/legato runs.

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
Isn't it too powerful?
DiMazrio charts say it is 400mV while Evo 2 375mV.

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
That was my problem when I first got the evo neck. Too boomy and a bit muddy sometimes. I replaced it with hfh that solved the boomy problem, however it lacks mids and body. Now I'm happy with my paf joe.

Looks like you need a super 2 or a dimarzio IBZ neck.
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 05:08:09 PM »
Isn't it too powerful?
DiMazrio charts say it is 400mV while Evo 2 375mV.
Nah, don't worry about it. In reality those numbers don't mean much.
You could always go with the Humbucker From Hell as it's pretty bright and snarly but I think you will love the S2 for that style, as I do.

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
Yeah. I noticed DiMarzio's tone chart not so accurate.
And plus for Super 2. It has similar poles like Evolutions :)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
The Humbucker from Hell might just do the trick. Definitely has a clear and articulate low end, even high up the fretboard. However, it does sound a tad more single coil like. If you want a more humbucker type tone, you could always try PAF Joe, or maybe if you don't mind a low output humbucker, try the Air Classic neck. Never tried the PAF Master neck. Maybe that might work too

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:38 AM »
What I did to some neck humbuckers to de-muddy them was to remove either the screws under the 6th and 5th strings on the neck side coil or to remove the screws under the bass strings from the neck side coil. This has worked well for several pickups. However, if the pickup is covered I found the effect to be minimal and not enough.

This is a trick that was posted here by RayBarbeeMusic before.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
What I did to some neck humbuckers to de-muddy them was to remove either the screws under the 6th and 5th strings on the neck side coil or to remove the screws under the bass strings from the neck side coil. This has worked well for several pickups. However, if the pickup is covered I found the effect to be minimal and not enough.

Good luck,
Stephan
It seems like I have found solution.  Trick with screws really helped me. But I just did it with a little different way. Just lowered down pickup itself from strings and rised up all screws for a 2mm. It is not perfect what I want but far better than it was before.
Rising only neck side bobbin's crew or removing will causing pickup lost not only its lows and power and impact too.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

Good luck,
Stephan

Depends on the humbucker itself. Sometimes you then have a severe imbalance of volume across the strings. In most cases IME, it's better to just remove all the screws instead

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
Agree. It depends on pickup itself.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:16 AM »
Depends on the humbucker itself. Sometimes you then have a severe imbalance of volume across the strings. In most cases IME, it's better to just remove all the screws instead

Indeed. With some pickups it worked well, with some the difference was only subtle and did not solve the issue.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jazzywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »
I had the same problem with Evolution neck and added a capacitor in series. Now it is perfect!
Cheap and simple fix.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »
I had the same problem with Evolution neck and added a capacitor in series. Now it is perfect!
Cheap and simple fix.

Oh yeah. That definitely might work too. Never knew why I never thought of this at the time of commenting. To be honest though, I never thought the Evolution neck was every boomy. But I guess we all hear things differently, and maybe even using the same pickup on different guitars may yield different results.

IMO, sometimes what people call "boomy", that could be tweaked by the pickups and electronics, or even changing the saddles and/or bridge assembly to a different material or to a better quality one

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Cheap and simple fix.
Wow! Really? What capacitance did you use?