Cruiser problem

• 2 Replies

than

Cruiser problem
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:28:57 AM »
Hello everybody.this is my first post here.i bought a dp 187 cruiser bridge pickup to put in the neck position of my guitar (ala andy timmons fashion).i have a schaller megaswitch and a mini switch for coil splitting.the other pickups in my guitar are the tom anderson hn2 in the bridge position and the tom anderson sa1 in the middle position.the problem i have with the cruiser is that when i split it with the mini switch i have a huge volume drop that pretty much makes the spliting option unusable.is this normal behaviour for the cruiser(maybe they are not ment to be split???)or is there something wrong?

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
Re: Cruiser problem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »
I have the same pickup in the neck of my guitar (and I love it) but I wired it so that I have both the series and the parallel wiring. I did not try to split it; the Cruiser has a low output, so I'm afraid it really does not make sense to split it (on the contrary for example the BC-1 has a nice tone when it's split too!).
I don't know if there is some other mistake in your wiring, but anyway the result you got could be perfectly normal.
When I use the Cruiser in parallel wiring (I mean its two coils in parallel and not with other pickups) there is a little volume drop, and I use it when I want to clean a little more a crunch tone.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cruiser problem
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:05:59 AM »
What Lelik said - the Cruiser is low output even in series mode so making it even lower in output by splitting it seems not to be the best option. I would guess that the volume drop is normal even though I have not tried it myself.

The parallel mode has usually a bit more output than the single coil (split) mode but you have to check whether there are enough terminals on your switch to do it. Splitting can be done with a simple SPST (single pole, single throw) switch that has three terminals. For parallel wiring you need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch that has six terminals.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b