Pickup recommendations

• 1 Replies

MMFB

Pickup recommendations
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
Hey all!
I got a few questions regarding pickups. I have an ESP Horizon FR 27. When I bought it the previous owner took out the stock pickups which were Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (bridge) and Hot Rails (neck) and put in Blackouts. I want to put a new set of passive pickups in her.  Not a fan of active pickups. It has an alder body, maple neck with an ebony fretboard, and OFR. I play in drop B/standard B. I like the heavy sounds of Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, God Smack and the leads of Fransisco Artusato, Vai, Petrucci, etc.  My other guitar is an Ibanez RG2550 (basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard) with DiMarzio Crunch lab (bridge) and Liquifire (neck). I really like the sound of it. 

So, does ESP match the tone of the wood to the pickups they select?

What would you recommend for replacement pickups?

I've been eyeing the D Activator X, Evo, and maybe a Crunch Lab in the bridge. The Air Norton S, Pro Track or Chopper in the neck.
Thoughts?

I've also been looking at the Lace Deathbucker for the bridge and the Alumitone single for the neck. Right now I play through a Line 6 Vetta 2 head and a 4x12 with V30’s. Eventually I plan to get a Fractal FX 2 unit with FRFR speaker cabs, if that makes any difference.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
M
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:27:50 PM by MMFB »

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Pickup recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
I havent tried the humbuckers you mention but I have the "normal" D-Activator in one guitar and its a great beefy, chuggy, articulate metal pickup (and it does other things too). I'd certainly recommend that one for the bridge if you want something other than a CL which you already have.
I'd pair that with the Chopper or even better, the Satch Track. The other two are too dark for my taste, especially the ANS.