alnico 8 strat single coil?

• 9 Replies

alfaromeo90

alnico 8 strat single coil?
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »
hey, has anyone here tried an alnico 8 magnet in a normal strat pickup (i.e. not stacked or noiseless)?  Opinions welcome.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Re: alnico 8 strat single coil?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
doesnt alnico 8 have to be overwound?
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
I dont even know of anyone making them,

ACH91332

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »

? what? no?

Anyways odds are you dont see an A8 or Ceramic for that matter in a single coil with poles as the magnets is because of string pull (I'm guessing). A5 has enough pull as it is and Ceramic and A8 are way worse. People complain A8 and Ceramic kills string pull on humbuckers even though the magnets are on the bottom and contact the pole pieces which really dont transfer a lot of the magnetism. I mean yeah it effects string pull but no matter what its way better than a single coil. Those guys must have the poles almost touching the strings (bad idea).

Anyways yea if you have an A8 or Ceramic single coil it would have to be overwound to add output and compensate for backing the pickup up because of the increased string pull. You would want to back it up more than a regular A5 so you dont kill your sustain. I assume thats what jerryjg was talking about.

Now saying all of that if I was a maker I would say its pointless to take those problems into account. A5 and A2 works fine. A5 for most coils and A2 if you are making a model to have more sustain and warmth.

alfaromeo90

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
ok thanks guys.  i need to put a single coil in really low, but it has got to compete with a couple of humbuckers so don't want it to be too low output.  I like a tiny bit overwound but i emphasize "tiny".  Getting a stronger alnico magnet in was just an idea to solve these issues.

ACH91332

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:22 AM »
Well its not like you can take the magnet poles out anyways. Best bet is to get a hotter single coil.

Why do you need to put it in low?

alfaromeo90

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
i keep hitting with my pick, dammit.  i got a big ole backswing!

bzzdog

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:38:41 AM »
i keep hitting with my pick, dammit.  i got a big ole backswing!

LOL

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:21:01 AM »

? what? no?

Anyways odds are you dont see an A8 or Ceramic for that matter in a single coil with poles as the magnets is because of string pull (I'm guessing). A5 has enough pull as it is and Ceramic and A8 are way worse. People complain A8 and Ceramic kills string pull on humbuckers even though the magnets are on the bottom and contact the pole pieces which really dont transfer a lot of the magnetism. I mean yeah it effects string pull but no matter what its way better than a single coil. Those guys must have the poles almost touching the strings (bad idea).

Anyways yea if you have an A8 or Ceramic single coil it would have to be overwound to add output and compensate for backing the pickup up because of the increased string pull. You would want to back it up more than a regular A5 so you dont kill your sustain. I assume thats what jerryjg was talking about.

Now saying all of that if I was a maker I would say its pointless to take those problems into account. A5 and A2 works fine. A5 for most coils and A2 if you are making a model to have more sustain and warmth.

According to Faraday's Law of Induction, this isn't making much sense... but then again, I'm used to dealing with it in ideal situations, so you're probably right.

frty

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »
Lynn Collins of Tacoma Wa made alnico 8 strat and tele pups. I have a set of each. I love 'em.