PAF 59 Set

• 41 Replies

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: PAF 59 Set
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »
Yeah. That is what I thought too. I thought he somehow got a set before they released, and I was trying to goad him into giving us a review of them. I was kidding when I started poking fun at him, but now I really am beginning to wonder...

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
Look at his facebook (link in his posts).

Its pretty clear he has them, just have to wait for the review.

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:35 AM »
Yeah. That is what I thought too. I thought he somehow got a set before they released, and I was trying to goad him into giving us a review of them. I was kidding when I started poking fun at him, but now I really am beginning to wonder...
You know, with some people, when you tease them you can actually achieve the opposite. Just let him review them when he feels he has a clear picture of them.
There's also the honeymoon phase - I cannot tell you how many times I had a set over only to change my mind about them after a few days.

Bottom line: Darth will post the review when he feels it's the right time to do it.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
http://darthphineas.com/2017/08/dimarzio-paf-59/

A good read/writer, albeit more like a blog/magazine article; i.e. over half of it has nothing to do with the sound of the pickups.
I hope he can go into more detail/less formal here; it sounds like the neck is a bit boomier than the bridge.

EDIT: I'd like a comparison to Mojotones '59 Clones at this point, as those were my first choice before these DiM's were released.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:56:28 PM by Bucksears »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
over half of it has nothing to do with the sound of the pickups.

had to dig a little to find things I wanted to say that would be fair to everyone.  which is kinda sorta what I do when something doesn't cut the mustard.  I'm not here to slam the product, but my personal impression is that it does not live up to the potential of a replica of a PAF from 1959.  but... lots of players will still like it and that's what matters to DiMarzio.

I hope he can go into more detail/less formal here; it sounds like the neck is a bit boomier than the bridge.

my thought is that the most unique thing about this set is the bobbin color, followed the lack of options.  the set as a whole falls into the beefier category that became a 'thing' when Duncan released the 59 Model.  except that Duncan acknowledges they made them hotter and beefier on purpose. 

DiMarzio makes a lot of great pickups and I enjoy exploring the catalog.  I think there's a reason why people want to bring back the VPAF.  otherwise, the more modern-sounding tones just seem to be more in the DiMarzio wheelhouse.

I'd be interested in learning more about when the Blucher era started to wind down.

EDIT: I'd like a comparison to Mojotones '59 Clones at this point, as those were my first choice before these DiM's were released.

I like the Mojo 59 Clone models.  the difference between the regular bridge and the hot bridge are a little subtle, going more for a similar voice.  if they are your first choice, go with them.  if there's an issue, they will work with you on it.  or call up, ask for David Shepherd and discuss your goals before you order.

if I'm not looking to totally break the bank, the PAF replicas I'd start with would be the Seth Lover set.  then the Mojotone 59 Clones.  if I had some scratch to throw around, there are others I can discuss.

Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:47 AM »
I'd be interested in learning more about when the Blucher era started to wind down.

Has Steve left DiMarzio?

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
had to dig a little to find things I wanted to say that would be fair to everyone.  which is kinda sorta what I do when something doesn't cut the mustard.  I'm not here to slam the product, but my personal impression is that it does not live up to the potential of a replica of a PAF from 1959.  but... lots of players will still like it and that's what matters to DiMarzio.

my thought is that the most unique thing about this set is the bobbin color, followed the lack of options.  the set as a whole falls into the beefier category that became a 'thing' when Duncan released the 59 Model.  except that Duncan acknowledges they made them hotter and beefier on purpose. 

DiMarzio makes a lot of great pickups and I enjoy exploring the catalog.  I think there's a reason why people want to bring back the VPAF.  otherwise, the more modern-sounding tones just seem to be more in the DiMarzio wheelhouse.

I like the Mojo 59 Clone models.  the difference between the regular bridge and the hot bridge are a little subtle, going more for a similar voice.  if they are your first choice, go with them.  if there's an issue, they will work with you on it.  or call up, ask for David Shepherd and discuss your goals before you order.

if I'm not looking to totally break the bank, the PAF replicas I'd start with would be the Seth Lover set.  then the Mojotone 59 Clones.  if I had some scratch to throw around, there are others I can discuss.

Thanks for the reply - makes more sense now, and I might just skip these as well. I dig the 36th PAFs a lot, though. A great all-around humbucker - on the higher side of 'low output'.

Mojotone is a little less than 2hrs from my house. I've emailed Dave Shepherd on other things; nice guy, responsive. I picked up a Classic Hot Humbucker for my haven't gotten around to installing, but the 59 Clones might be going in my Ibanez AS120.

Offline 123RnR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »
Guys!
Any of you have played with those Dimarzio 59's?
There are not even videos from them on Youtube!

Failure at Launch?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »

Yes

Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
Guys!
There are not even videos from them on Youtube!

This forum can be kinda dead sometimes. Not many people post here. There are other discussions going on.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?322001-The-New-Dimarzio-Paf-59-Set

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-dimarzio-paf-59.1849137/

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 07:53:46 AM »
This forum can be kinda dead sometimes. Not many people post here.

Yes, it's quite unfortunate. Let's keep it alive.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b