The Tone Zone vs Air Zone (bridge)

• 10 Replies

Offline Luca79

• View Profile
The Tone Zone vs Air Zone (bridge)
« on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:36 AM »
Hello,
i'm new here, from Italy.

I want to replace the Virtual PAF in my new EBMM Silhouette Special. I was thinking to go with The Tone Zone, but i not really need a lot of output, so i wonder if the Air Zone is a better choice.

Right now i like the stock pickup, have a nice punch and tone, but is a bit weak.
The guitar is on the bright zone (maple neck and fingerboard, new wood, oiled...) so i could keep the 250K pot.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Re: The Tone Zone vs Air Zone (bridge)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »
I had a virtual PAF in my JP6 - factory installed.  IF you like the tone of the Virtual PAF the Tone Zone is not the way to go.  I replaced mine with a tone zone and it's getting replaced. 

I would say look at the Norton or the Breed neck as the Tone zone will sound nothing like your current pickups. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:56:46 AM »
Seems like you are looking for a PAF-like tone (i.e. what you currently have) but with a bit more beef. In the DiMarzio line that would be the Norton, which I have not personally played, however. If it does not have to be a DiMarzio, Duncan Custom 5 would be a good choice for that.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Luca79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the answers.

I have one TB11 around, but i wish to stay with DiMarzio.

So the Norton DP160 is more PAF sounding, i'll check it.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 05:31:34 AM »
You should definitely try the Breed. Either the bridge or neck version, both will be great for a big PAF sound. If you want to go even bigger, bolder and bassier, yes, the Air Zone should work. I dont know about keeping the 250k pot though, you may need a 500k.

Offline Luca79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »
My friend have a Jem with the Breed set... i'll give it a try.

Was watching some vids, and look like the Norton is a very nice pickup. Not have that particular eq of the Zone series. More classic hot-rod sound.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
Yup, the Norton is really great.

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »
The Airzone is a great pickup. Incidentally, it sounds better split (authentic GOOD single coil sound) than just about any other pickup.
It's got a lot of bottom end. I would recommend 500K pot with it.

Offline Luca79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
I tried the Breed yesterday, and not liked so much. Maybe is the guitar too (Jam) to be different...

I wish to stay with the stock tone, but with a bit more output and punch. I think the Virtual PAF is 230mV; very low.

I tried to boost the signal, but not like the result with the lead. Is fine do it with a crunch.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
The Breed bridge sounds nothing like a PAF - much more output and midrange. Maybe with the coils in parallel, with a 250k load but with the coils in series - no.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:29:23 PM »
Order of DiMarzio output (sort of) and brightness levels and "PAF"-ness from what you're looking for:

36th Anniv bridge
PAF Pro
Fred
Mo'Jo
Breed Neck
Norton

Somewhere along that continuum should be what you seek.