Ibanez RG 970 pickups

• 2 Replies

Offline guitar2be

• View Profile
Ibanez RG 970 pickups
« on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm having trouble figuring out which pickups would fit best in my Ibanez rg 970 premium. It has a basswood body with maple top and a wenge neck with bubinga stripes and rosewood fretboard. I'm playing mainly fusion jazz styles, funk, rock and I don't care about high gain too much, but still looking for versatility. Through web research I kinda got a feeling what i want and I believe that AT-1 bridge and 36th paf neck would be a good combo for me. Does anyone know maybe how would these two behave in this wood combo? Also I have no idea what mid pickup should use with these, I want to avoid drastic volume drop and hum but retain good straty guthrie like sounds for funk and leads in positions 2,3 and 4. I was thinking maybe a true velvet or vv54pro, or maybe even cruiser, but i don't know how are it's split sounds. I'm also open to other suggestions for the bridge/neck combo for my style and guitar. I had an air norton neck pup in my previous ibanez rg, but i didn't like it's character.

Thank you for your help! :)

Jack

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Ibanez RG 970 pickups
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
I am not the one to ask about the At-1. I didn't like it very much, even though I like Andy Timmon's tone. The 36th neck is really vintage sounding if that is what you are after.
I have 4 RG's set up that I really like. One has an Air Zone Bridge, Cruiser middle, and PAF Pro neck. Great fat powerful combo. Another has a Fred Bridge, Area 67 middle, and Humbucker from Hell neck. Lower powered combo. Great growl from the bridge, classic strat middle, and tight clear neck. The last one had a Tone Zone bridge, Area 58 Middle, and PAF Joe neck. I love the PAF Joe neck, and the area 58 middle provides some classic strat tones, but the Tone Zone was a little over-the-top, and I got tired of it. It now has another Air Zone in it.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ibanez RG 970 pickups
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 04:08:52 AM »
AT-1 is a good choice for the bridge - love mine.

Since I have not played the 36th Anniversary I cannot comment on that. I have the AT-1 paired with a Bluesbucker in the neck spot, and that combination works well. But I guess the 36th Anniversary or the Air Classic neck would work equally well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b