Yngwie Malmsteen

• 9 Replies

Offline Jeffochka

• View Profile
Yngwie Malmsteen
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:47 PM »
I know that Yngwie now has pickups with SD as the YJM Fury set. I've always liked Dimarzio pups over SD pups. There used to be some YJM Dimarzio pups. Are they still available but without his name? It seems that there is some mention of the HS4 and HS3 pups. I have a Strat (SSS setup) and want to replace the pups. What would be the proper setup if I get Dimarzio pups (which ones in which position)? Also, how do the YJM Fury compare with the HS4 / HS3 setup? I should mention that I like to play blues (Stevie Ray Vaughn style and sound). Would these pups also be able to do blues and some jazz tones? Thanks!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 02:43:26 AM »
The DiMarzio YJM signature pickup is now called HS-4.

In the Alcatrazz days he used to use the FS-1 which is slightly hotter than the HS-series/YJM but its not humcancelling.
Then he played the HS-3´s for a long time, like 10-12 years or something. HS-3 in the bridge and neck, stock strat pickup lowered flush with the pickguard in the middle. Then in 1995 he got the YJM which he used in the neck and middle, and an HS-3 still in the bridge. The YJM is very, very close to an HS-3. Only difference according to DiMarzio is the vintage stagger which affects string balance which, in turn, gives you a slightly clearer tone on the unwound strings higher up the neck.

The thing to remember about these pickups is that they are very low output. Yngwie of course uses the DOD250/308 overdrive cranked into his Marshalls and that creates the distortion. He's quoted in an old Guitar Player issue saying that he believes that in order to get the best, clearest tone the signal from the guitar should be totally clean without a hint of distortion and then you overdrive it severely with an OD hitting the amp. It obviously worked as his tone, and playing, back then was out of this world. In the same interview he also stated that a single note shouldnt sound distorted, it should just sound sweet and sing, and when you hit a power chord, then you hear the crunch and distortion.

When he switched to the much hotter SD Furys IMO his tone went from a clear, bell-like tone to something over-compressed and way too distorted. Mud and mush.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
The thing to remember about these pickups is that they are very low output. Yngwie of course uses the DOD250/308 overdrive cranked into his Marshalls and that creates the distortion. He's quoted in an old Guitar Player issue saying that he believes that in order to get the best, clearest tone the signal from the guitar should be totally clean without a hint of distortion and then you overdrive it severely with an OD hitting the amp. It obviously worked as his tone, and playing, back then was out of this world. In the same interview he also stated that a single note shouldnt sound distorted, it should just sound sweet and sing, and when you hit a power chord, then you hear the crunch and distortion.

Interesting.

The question is whether he only boosted the signal with the DOD or whether he also added overdrive from the pedal. If the former, then the pickup choice cannot be based on output alone so I believe he also added drive from the pedal instead of only hitting the amp with a louder cleaner signal.

BTW loved his tone and playing on the Odyssey and Tribute albums.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Jeffochka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
Interesting points. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong. The pups are only 1/3 of the sound. So, without the OD effect and Marshall, I won't truly get the sound I desire. Probably I should consider a different SSS setup. The thing I like most about Yngwie's sound is the articulation during solos; each note is punchy and distinct. I'm talking sound over technique. There is also an interesting sustain when he holds a note but that might be more effect than pickup. Also, I do love Stevie Ray Vaughn's strat tones. I also like a warm jazz clean tone. These new pups will go in a Fender strat. Is there a setup that is versatile enough to handle neoclassical (punchy notes), vintage blues, and warm jazz? I realize I may have to sacrifice somewhere. I'm looking for something that doesn't require an OD pedal and Marshall. I guess that means something with higher output than the HS3/4? Or would you still recommend that setup? Thanks!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »

Interesting.

The question is whether he only boosted the signal with the DOD or whether he also added overdrive from the pedal. If the former, then the pickup choice cannot be based on output alone so I believe he also added drive from the pedal instead of only hitting the amp with a louder cleaner signal.

BTW loved his tone and playing on the Odyssey and Tribute albums.

Cheers Stephan
Sure, the Level on the DOD was maxed out and the Drive was somewhere between halfway and maxed, it varied apparently.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
Interesting points. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong. The pups are only 1/3 of the sound. So, without the OD effect and Marshall, I won't truly get the sound I desire. Probably I should consider a different SSS setup. The thing I like most about Yngwie's sound is the articulation during solos; each note is punchy and distinct. I'm talking sound over technique. There is also an interesting sustain when he holds a note but that might be more effect than pickup. Also, I do love Stevie Ray Vaughn's strat tones. I also like a warm jazz clean tone. These new pups will go in a Fender strat. Is there a setup that is versatile enough to handle neoclassical (punchy notes), vintage blues, and warm jazz? I realize I may have to sacrifice somewhere. I'm looking for something that doesn't require an OD pedal and Marshall. I guess that means something with higher output than the HS3/4? Or would you still recommend that setup? Thanks!
What amp and pedals are you using?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
The thing I like most about Yngwie's sound is the articulation during solos; each note is punchy and distinct. I'm talking sound over technique. There is also an interesting sustain when he holds a note but that might be more effect than pickup.
It's 95% in his hands. He has/had an extraordinary technique and control over the string. That needs to be pretty much there, otherwise its really not going to sound the same.

Is there a setup that is versatile enough to handle neoclassical (punchy notes), vintage blues, and warm jazz? I realize I may have to sacrifice somewhere. I'm looking for something that doesn't require an OD pedal and Marshall. I guess that means something with higher output than the HS3/4? Or would you still recommend that setup? Thanks!
Well you're not going to sound like Wes Montgomery with an SSS guitar but Scott Henderson and Oz Noy among others play jazz/fusion on a strat so why not? Use the neck pickup and roll the tone down a bit. Should work.

For something that does the jazz thing plus YJM and SRV pretty well I'd either go Injector Bridge/Injector Neck/Injector Neck OR..... Virtual Solo / VV 54 Pro (or Area 67) / Heavy Blues 2. Or some mix between those. Im not totally sure what I'd choose TBH.
Its a tall order to get those three tones from a single instrument but it depends on how authentic the tones need to be, and what other gear you use (amps, pedals). If 'in the ballpark' is good enough then you'll be fine with any of the above combos.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:12:55 AM by jazzfromhell »

Offline Jeffochka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
Well you're not going to sound like Wes Montgomery with an SSS guitar but Scott Henderson and Oz Noy among others play jazz/fusion on a strat so why not? Use the neck pickup and roll the tone down a bit. Should work.

For something that does the jazz thing plus YJM and SRV pretty well I'd either go Injector Bridge/Injector Neck/Injector Neck OR..... Virtual Solo / VV 54 Pro (or Area 67) / Heavy Blues 2. Or some mix between those.[/quote]

Thanks, JazzFromHell. Great recommendation. Oddly, I was able to find some YouTube videos with this exact setup. I'm blown away at the range and diversity of these pups together. The HB2 sounds almost like a hybrid between Yngwie and Satriani. Very intriguing. Great clean tones, SRV dirty blues, and neoclassical from one guitar.

And I could never sound like Wes, even with his exact setup.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
The DiMarzio YJM signature pickup is now called HS-4.

In the Alcatrazz days he used to use the FS-1 which is slightly hotter than the HS-series/YJM but its not humcancelling.
Then he played the HS-3´s for a long time, like 10-12 years or something. HS-3 in the bridge and neck, stock strat pickup lowered flush with the pickguard in the middle. Then in 1995 he got the YJM which he used in the neck and middle, and an HS-3 still in the bridge. The YJM is very, very close to an HS-3. Only difference according to DiMarzio is the vintage stagger which affects string balance which, in turn, gives you a slightly clearer tone on the unwound strings higher up the neck.

When he switched to the much hotter SD Furys IMO his tone went from a clear, bell-like tone to something over-compressed and way too distorted. Mud and mush.

+1. Early yngwie was out of this world. His tone was absolutely STUNNING!

Offline jazzywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
If you can play like Wes Montgomery, no one will care about the guitar/pickup you are using...  ;)

For something that does the jazz thing plus YJM and SRV pretty well I'd either go Injector Bridge/Injector Neck/Injector Neck OR..... Virtual Solo / VV 54 Pro (or Area 67) / Heavy Blues 2. Or some mix between those.

Thanks, JazzFromHell. Great recommendation. Oddly, I was able to find some YouTube videos with this exact setup. I'm blown away at the range and diversity of these pups together. The HB2 sounds almost like a hybrid between Yngwie and Satriani. Very intriguing. Great clean tones, SRV dirty blues, and neoclassical from one guitar.

And I could never sound like Wes, even with his exact setup.
[/quote]