I did the 1/2 air mod.......

• 5 Replies

Offline Timius

• View Profile
I did the 1/2 air mod.......
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »
Did the half air mod to the Tone Zone.  Took about 20 minutes and that was mainly spent finding a spacer.  What a quick and easy project. 

I am shocked at how it opened up the midrange and tamed the low end. I feel that this mod is worth it.  Only bad part (to me) is the output dropped a little.  I might try either and A8 or ceramic in their next after rolling with this for a month or so. 

I also found that there is not as much need to adjust the height.  Has a wider sweet spot now.  For now this is a keep mod. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I did the 1/2 air mod.......
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:13:57 AM »
Glad you liked it - it's always rewarding when an experiment is successful.

Personally I would probably not worry about the output loss. The TZ has plenty to begin with.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
Glad you liked it - it's always rewarding when an experiment is successful.

Personally I would probably not worry about the output loss. The TZ has plenty to begin with.

Cheers Stephan

I might try the ceramic just to further experiment and see how it changes the low end.  I'm sure some one has done a half air with a ceramic mag mod but I can't find direct feedback in it. 

I also have started experimenting with winding pickups and this is all great application and experimentation. 

I do agree with the output after sitting on it over night.  There is plenty.  The open mids make it appear louder because it gains a little sear to the sound

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:58:17 PM »
I have a TZ laying around….and have herd much awesome on the 1/2 air….

May need to try this.

Offline Timius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
I have a TZ laying around….and have herd much awesome on the 1/2 air….

May need to try this.

It's super simple.  I recommend giving it a whirl

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:26:34 PM »
I used the same spacer from the TZ and inserted it to the bolt side of an Air Norton and the magnet touches the screw poles. Been using the guitar like this for a few years now, the split on the air norton is very strat like.