Evolution in a Les Paul?

• 6 Replies

Offline Shamati

• View Profile
Evolution in a Les Paul?
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:59:11 AM »
Hi!
I have a brand new Les Paul with 57 classic+/57 classic combo & I'm thinking about replacing them with DiMarzio's instead. I already have a Les Paul with an Air Zone in the bridge & an Air Norton in the neck so I don't want another one just like it.

I really love that fluid lead sound of Steve Vai, Andy Timmons & John Petrucci but I wonder what is the best Steve Vai pickup set? The Evolution, Evolution 2, Breed or Gravity Storm? So many it makes me wonder if he wasn't satisfied with the previous or what??
But I want to bridge to be nice for both lead & rhythm playing. I'm always  looking for that Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth tone for rhythm.

I don't have the money or time to go through all pickups so I start by asking on this forum what you would recommend?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution in a Les Paul?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:46:13 AM »
I am afraid I am not of much help here as the only pickups I played out of these are the Breeds. As far as history goes, I believe I read that Steve wanted a different sound from the Evolutions - warmer and not as much output.

Since you mentioned Andy Timmons I would recommend that you consider the AT-1, even though that would be quite a bit off from Steve Vai or John Petrucci. I have recently acquired an AT-1 and have installed it in a guitar with alder body, maple neck w/ pau ferro board, and it sounds fabulous there - enough punch in the low end, clear in the highs but nothing sharp or obnoxious, and a wonderful singing midrange without being bloaty or tubby.

I have it paired with a Bluesbucker in the neck which works really well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »
Crunch Lab and Liquifire?

Evolutions can be a little over the top, but thats only my opinion.

If you want something unlike your Dimarzios, why not try some Seymour Duncans?

Offline Shamati

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
What's the difference between the Crunch Lab / Liquifire combo & the Illuminators?

I like the DiMarzio sound, I just want a different set from what I previously have used.

I also found the Titan & the Dominion, which seem awesome.

The high gain sound is most important for me though & was thinking Evolution/Evolution 2/Gravity Storm because I want the bridge to be great for leads as well

Offline PaulLester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
I've seen one review on youtube of PRS Les Paul guitar and he said that Liquifire would be too warm in Les Paul so he put PAF Pro on neck with Crunch Lab on Bridge. Just sayin'.

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
My experience with evolution bridge was very hot & aggressive in a super strat,probably would sound even better in a les Paul with mahogany & substantially more wood

Offline Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »
Brand new to this site and just want to say the Duncan Sentient is one awesome neck Pup. I got mine paired with a Nazgul in the bridge. Mine is in a Epiphone Tribute and I am blown away TBH. I just wanted to try something different, and I am stunned at how awesome it sounds. The Sentient is like mixing the best of the 59 and Jazz. I dont even use a ton of gain, in fact, I actually backed off my gain a tad. Harmonics galore, one of my best choices in a while. The output isnt really as high as you may think either. For me, slays the 57s I had in the dust(mud)