Favorite Dimarzio humbuckers (blues to hard rock sounds)

• 5 Replies

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
Favorite Dimarzio humbuckers (blues to hard rock sounds)
« on: July 05, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
Hello, i'm a newbie so i'd ask for your understanding if i'm posting anything the wrong way here.
The last 4-5 years I've tried about 10 dimarzio humbuckers plus some more seymours, toneriders etc while seeking for my ultra guitar mojo. My intention is to help somehow myway people with similar tastes in tones etc.

Playing guitar about 15 years now.
Bands-tones I m into: The Black Crowes, Oasis, Qotsa, Black Keys, Pearl Jam, The Soundtrack Of Our lives, The Hellacopters, Stone Temple Pilots (to name a few).

All humbuckers tried on set-neck mahogany guitars such as an epiphone les paul an sg and a Hamer Vector. My amp is a Peavey Delta Blues 210 which I mostly drive on clean with OD pedals and Fuzzes.

Dimarzio's:
-Air Norton (Bridge)
-Air Zone (Bridge)
-Transition (Bridge)
-DP103 36th ann. (Bridge and Neck)
-Tone Zone (Bridge)
-Bluesbucker (Neck)
-Humbucker from Hell (Neck)
-EJ Custom (Neck)

Dissapointments:
The only ones that didnt do for me were the Transition and the Tone Zone. The first one was quite of a disappointment for me. Sounded kind of a bad quality ceramic thing to my ears (tried on the epi sg bridge). No good note seperation, I was hearing a harsh thing between the notes when playing chords. The Tone Zone is cool for what it is (maybe heavy metal players will dig it more), but its quite more bassy from what I need and less expressive-dynamic.

Best combos:
1. DP103 36th ann. (B) - EJ Custom (N):  My vintage rock combo. Stays on my SG.

2. Air Norton (B) - Bluesbucker (N):  Probably my favorite neck pickup. A killer combo. More bite from the Air Norton (compared to the DP103) which always cuts through, plus it is great for cleans too! Stays on my LP.

3. Air Zone (B) - Humbucker from hell (N): Things get more heavy here but still dynamic. Air Zone kills for that Marshall hard/heavy rock styles. Fat Paf sounds. Humbucker from Hell is like a supercharged ballsy single coil. Both make a great match and you get a great sound out of the mid pickup position. Stays on my Hamer Vector.

The ones I ve never tried but I d like too (please share your opinions if you have):

- Dimarzio Mo Joe (Bridge) with Air Classic (Neck)
- Dominions (set)
I know they sell those Dominions mostly for the metal players but something tells me that would do great for classic rock/bluesy/alt styles.

Hope my first post helps. Looking for your feedback

Cheers

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Dimarzio humbuckers (blues to hard rock sounds)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:58:06 AM »

2. Air Norton (B) - Bluesbucker (N)
for classic rock/bluesy/alt styles.

Welcome and great first post.

I had this very combination also in a Les Paul and in a custom made Swamp ash guitar and was happy with the Bluesbucker in the neck, especially in the Swamp ash guitar which is a 24 fret guitar. The Air Norton in the bridge was OK but a bit too bright in the Les Paul.

The Bluesbucker is now in a alder bodied tele type guitar in the neck. Bridge pickup is an AT-1.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »

- Dimarzio Mo Joe (Bridge) with Air Classic (Neck)
- Dominions (set)
I know they sell those Dominions mostly for the metal players but something tells me that would do great for classic rock/bluesy/alt styles.

Covered the Dominion set ( http://darthphineas.com/2016/05/dimarzio-dominion-humbucker-set/ ) and I think it's much more versatile than it appears at first glance for many genres. A recent custom build arrived with some BKPs, and I yanked them in favor of a Dominion bridge and a Bluesbucker for the neck.

I've only tried the Mo Joe ( http://darthphineas.com/2015/11/dimarzio-mo-joe-dp216-humbucker-pickup/ ) with other Satch models, I'd very much be interested in hearing how it pairs with the Air Classic
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:36:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply and your kind words Stephan. Havent tried the AT-1 yet but I ve heard good words from a friend having it.

@DarthPhineas: Hadnt checked those reviews before...very good job!
Now I m definately sure the first combo i ll try next will be the Dominion set. I already have a cheapo in mind to buy at first chance, an Ibanez GAX30 in wine red (cost about 180€). They ll fit in there.

Another idea i have is to grab a Kramer baretta special which has just one humbucker and put it on the Mo Joe. I always wanted that early 90s Ugly Kid Joe vibe  ::)

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:16:22 AM »
I'm currently using the dominion set in my RG3120, I think they sound really great! I use them for anything: metal, rock, blues
The dominion bridge is like a tone zone with very tight low end and more immediate pick response.
The dominion neck perfectly complements the bridge pickup in terms of output and tone. It sounds like a warmer paf pro, but it shares the same fast pick response like its bridge counterpart so it never sound muddy or boomy at all, even when playing the low E or A strings on lower frets.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:21:24 AM by bluediamond »

Offline eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:01 AM »
Howdy,

Neck: Air Classic. Bridge: Air classic or 36th Anniv PAF.
The Air classic neck and 36 Anni PAF are currently in my old ES-335. I'm a British Invasion kind of guy, so my taste is "old school". An Air Classic set would be fantastic, as they're so touch-sensitive. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:18:06 PM by eggman »