Partscaster Mason Style

• 6 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Partscaster Mason Style
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:15 AM »
I wanted to post a pic of a partscaster I put together but I have to resize it first.

The pickups are a DiMarzio Virtual Hot T in the bridge, a Virtual Vintage 54 Pro in the middle and a Lollar Firebird in the neck. 250k volume, 500k tone, 0.0022uf tone cap, regular 5-way switch to select b, b+m, m, m+n and n. The mini switch is intended to add the bridge pickup to any selection to get b+n and all three. All combinations are parallel in phase. I am not a fan of series combinations of pickups and/or out of phase combinations. I could have used a three way switch and add the middle pickup but the five way was more intuitive to me with three pickups.

Before I added the mini switch i had a third pot there to have two independent volume controls (one b+n, one m) but I scrapped this arrangement rather quickly. Apart that the controls were so close together that it was difficult to use, the blend tones were so subtly different that I decided it was not worth it.

The Virtual Hot T really shines in this guitar - it twangs, sings, screams and does whatever I ask from it. I started out with a Kinman AVn-48b but that was too bright and thin here. The VHT beefs it right up. I believe either of the Area T or Area Hot T would sound great in this guitar as well.

The VV 54 Pro by itself gets the "Sky is Crying" tone without trying too hard.

The real surprise was the combination of these two. I had played other teles with three pickups, seeking for the #2 strat quack tone but never got it - either it was not open enough or too thin. This one finally does it right. Not sure whether it's the pickups or the combination of pickups and guitar but this outquacks all my strats. 

And I got a very nice and useable neck tone as well. I am normally not too fond of the neck + middle combo but it works OK as well. I am looking forward to hear the bridge + neck combo on this one - should be great.

Cheers
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Partscaster Mason Style
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:13:31 AM »
I wish I could upload the picture but even a 73kB file prompts that the upload folder is full (?).
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:59:17 AM »
The mini switch is intended to add the bridge pickup to any selection to get b+n and all three.
I am looking forward to hear the bridge + neck combo on this one - should be great.

Wired the switch up yesterday and as expected the bridge + neck combo kills. That alone is worth it.
The all three combo is nothing to write home about though but that one never was to me anyway.

Interestingly enough the bridge + neck combo has some of the tone of the middle pickup alone but the middle pickup alone has much more midrange. The combination has less midrange but more highs and glass so they are two distinct tones available from the guitar. I prefer the middle pickup for soloing and the combination for chording.

Cheers Stephan

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:08:44 AM »
Picture:

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
Hi DBM,

What's the guitar body made out from?
I like how versatile you made the electronics. Guitar probably sounds really really good by your description.

Cory

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:23:36 AM »
Hi Cory,

The body is swamp ash from Warmoth, color alpine white. The neck is a one piece roasted maple neck from Kollitz (bought from George Forester Guitars). The bridge is a Callaham with the compensated saddles.

Cheers Stephan

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »
Hi Cory,

The body is swamp ash from Warmoth, color alpine white. The neck is a one piece roasted maple neck from Kollitz (bought from George Forester Guitars). The bridge is a Callaham with the compensated saddles.

Cheers Stephan

Hi DBM,

So it's all high quality stuff from top to bottom. That guitar must be a treat to play!

Cheers,
Cory