Air Zone with less bass?

• 13 Replies

Offline AverageWeekend

• View Profile
Air Zone with less bass?
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
I have a Les Paul-style guitar that currently has an Air Zone in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck.  I like the Air Zone except I wish it had less low end.  Mids and highs are good.  Output level is good. 

Guitar is mahogany neck & solid body with an ebony fingerboard.  I mainly use it for P&W at church, so it covers a wide range of sounds and versatility is important.  I use the middle pickup selection a lot, so a bridge pickup that will blend well with the 59 in the neck is important.   

The Dimarzio Pickup Picker, suggests the Super Distortion for a lot of the options I select, but I'm thinking that might be too hot for what I'm wanting and not as good with cleans. 

I was considering a Transition bridge?  Thoughts on that?  Other recommendations?

Thanks. 

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Air Zone with less bass?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
Transition is an ace pickup and would probably do the job well but I think you can solve the problem of too much low end with a capacitor in the right place.

Hopefully someone who has done that fix to the AZ/TZ will chime in.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »
The AT-1 would be my guess.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »
Here's the link to the low-end mod.
http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/taming-the-tone-zone

If you like the Air Zone apart from the "too much bass"-issue I'd really suggest you try this simple mod before buying a new pickup.

Offline erikm5150

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
Air zone with less bass = Lower the air zone on the bass side and raise the pole pieces. 

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »
Here's the link to the low-end mod.
http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/taming-the-tone-zone

If you like the Air Zone apart from the "too much bass"-issue I'd really suggest you try this simple mod before buying a new pickup.

Highly recommend this mod! For my guitar I found the sweet spot to be around 0.01~0.015uf
Retains the fatness of my tone zone, just tighter, more cut, more harmonics
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:25:15 PM by bluediamond »

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:23 PM »
My customers who do this tend to like that .01uf to .015uf range to, mostly for taming muddy neck buckers.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
Did you lower the bass end of the pickup in the ring.  I know….sound too simple, but you'd be surprised.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 03:44:15 AM »
My experience with setting pickup height - especially for neck pickups is that you can only go low up to a point. Once you set the height below that point you lose the articulation on the low strings. With some guitars and pickups it's enough, with others not.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:28 AM »
My experience with setting pickup height - especially for neck pickups is that you can only go low up to a point. Once you set the height below that point you lose the articulation on the low strings. With some guitars and pickups it's enough, with others not.

Cheers Stephan

Darkbluemurder is correct.

Capacitor values may be worth playing with. My solderless approach (use search function) allows you to swap capacitors in and out in seconds.

If you are looking for a different pickup that will fit this bill, try a PAF 36th bridge. On paper the AT-1 seems like it would be an Air Zone with less bass, but in practice it really is not. But the PAF 36th is the closest you'll get off the shelf for what you are looking for. Honorable mention to the Breed Neck.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
36th bridge has less bass, but it's a whole lot more bright and has less mids to.

Offline jazzywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
I did the same mod on a Evolution Neck and it sounds much better for leads. I still prefer the original configuration for cleans though. I can still switch the cap in and out with a push pull tone pot.

Offline AverageWeekend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 11:28:42 AM »
Thanks much, everyone.  I tried pretty much everything:  pickup height, pole piece heights, tried the cap mod with both .047 & .022 (probably should have tried .015 or .010 but didn''t), etc. 

Long story short, even after all those tweaks, I still wasn't happy with the Air Zone in that particular guitar.  Swapped it for a Transition bridge and all is good in the world.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »
So, tell us about the transition bridge...