Chopper far too boomy in neck

• 1 Replies

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
Chopper far too boomy in neck
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
Hi I was just testing my strat yesterday away from compressors, effects, pedals, etc.. tried a minimal setup, and couldn't find a balance between : bridge series/neck series and bridge parallel/neck parallel volumes. Also I had to eliminate the boomy tone of chopper in the neck both in series and parallel switching.
The guitar has FT2/FT1/Chopper with the following mods :
- push/pull pots for series/parallel (vol pot switches bridge pup, upper tone pot switches neck pup)
- added bridge to all positions toggle
- added tone control to the bridge pup

When I set parallel sound to match the chopper in series would become too boomy. When I tried to correct that by raising string action (buzz had to go) and lowering neck pup height, then in parallel the bridge pup would dominate the neck pup. I had to adjust the chopper almost flush to get rid of the boomy tone. I tried everything, I started to think smth is wrong with either the guitar or the particular chooper. This pup sounds loud in general. But cannot seem to find a good compromise between all possible uses there.
I might try raising the string action a little bit more, but that's bizarre, rest of guitars dont have this problem... hmmm maybe because the neck pup is right over the 2nd harmonic node where string's vibration magnitude is pretty high?

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
Re: Chopper far too boomy in neck
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
With my solid state amp crate 40xl (which sucks) the tone sucks. With my effects box boss me-25 connected to my computer (ubuntu studio 16.04) -> ardour 4 it simply rocks.