EVO 1 vs EVO 2

• 4 Replies

Offline Alfaalex101

• View Profile
EVO 1 vs EVO 2
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
Hello all, I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I love the EVO 1 pig squeal harmonics and the very harsh cutting tone it has, but I'm afraid it may be a bit thin (will be using a 250k pot though). The EVO 2 sounds like an improvement but I'm afraid it won't cut through the mix like an EVO 1 (will use a 500k no load for this one). I play metal and this is meant to be a strict lead pickup meant to tear through all the noise, it will be replacing an EMG 81 for context. (people that want to trade can also PM me). What are some pro's and con's between the two? I'm leaning more towards the EVO 1.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
Re: EVO 1 vs EVO 2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »
EMG81 is very neutral can be used in almost anything. What is that you do not like about it?

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
If you like the EMG-81 you will love the EVO1. I used to use EMG-81s and X2Ns but then switched to all EVO neck and bridges. EVO1 is my favorite Dimarzio bridge and I play metal as well. Since you play metal and already know you like the harmonics and cutting tone of the EVO1 I would just listen to your gut and go with that.

EVO2 has less output and the upper mids have been tweaked, a more "grown up" version of the original EVO. EVO2 will have better cleans. I do want to try an EVO2 sometime personally to see how it is. But I'm more than happy with my original EVOs. Leads just kill on these, even with alot of FX on top it cuts through great. Never found them thin unless I had my amp dialed wrong on purpose.
"I don't understand what's wrong with this amp, even with the gain all the way up the tone is still muddy as hell"

Offline Alfaalex101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
It's not that the 81's are bad - it's just that their harmonics have a very one dimensional sound to them, while the EVOs have the "wahh" sound on them and are sharper. Thanks for the response Blasphemy, I actually now feel dissuaded from getting the EVO 1 because everyone keeps raving about the mid-range of the EVO 2 and how it's so much better. That being said, I also hear the bass notes are flubby. The sound I'm going for is a nasty Pantera/Black Label Society type sound. The D-Activator seems like a nice middle ground but usually that means compromise. I would rather have one guitar for soloing and another for rhythm. I think I'll settle with the EVO 2 and boost the treble to give me that EVO 1 vibe back.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:36:50 PM by Alfaalex101 »

Offline satch_jr

• View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »
I've an EVO2 for 11 years in my RG (with 500k pots), it can do anything from blues to Pantera / Dream Theater (train of thought) if you adjust the tone/vol knobs. I've never tried an EVO 1 in my guitars but I've read many reviews that state that harmonics are a bit too overwhelming or hard to control.
the EVO2 has no issues about that and the tad more bass doesn't make it flubby on the lower notes, but this will depend on the wood in my opinion.