My journey with Dimarzio pickups - from X2N to lower output for metal.

• 10 Replies

What’s up guys, loooong time lurker, finally signed up today. Thought this would be a cool first post, for the people out there looking for pickup options. This is from the view of a metal player who went from using the highest output pickups a while ago, over to less powerful ones over time, all in search of tone.

I’ve been a fan of Dimarzio pickups since I started to play guitar in my teens in the 90s. I primarily play extreme metal (technical thrash, death metal etc.) but enjoy all kinds of music and listen to many styles of guitar players. I’ve used all brands of pickups but have always had at least one guitar with Dimarzios in it. In time, I have now changed out all my pickups to Dimarzios as I seem to prefer them the best.

Here are my thoughts on all the Dimarzios I have played throughout the years… these were all on basswood (99% Ibanez) or alder (99% Jackson) guitars with hardtails or locking trems on them. These are tuned from standard B, C, C#, D, D# all the way up to standard E. This is from the viewpoint of trying to get a good, hi-definition but clear and articulate saturated gain tone for more technical kinds of metal. A tone you can use both for rhythm or leads interchangeably.

I found my magic number for pickup output ratings to be between 375 mV and 435 mV. This lets me boost the amp with a Tubescreamer type pedal, use a good amount of the amps gain, and still have a tight articulate but highly saturated gain tone. I also use a BOSS GE-7 in the loop with slight cuts at 100 Hz and 800 Hz and take out some 400 Hz.

X2N: I used this pickup for many years plugged straight into the front of many high-gain solid-state or tube amps. However when I got hooked on boosting my signal with a Tubescreamer, X2N became just too much output for me. It defeated the whole purpose of using an X2N. It is great for heavier styles, going from AC/DC to Napalm Death. The sound of an X2N slamming some preamp tubes is pure rock ‘n’ roll. But you need to consider if you really need all that output. It’s got a very friendly EQ curve, and the sound you get is highly dependent on the character of your guitar. Unlike the Invader which seems to add tons of bass and mids to your tone... unlike an active pickup, when you’re speed picking and digging into riffs, you can really “feel” the X2N working with the amp when you’re playing. It’s really cool.

D-Activators: I prefer the regulars over the “X” versions because they have more treble (which I like), and less output – but even the regular D-Activators were too hot for me. I liked their general tone, tightness and clarity, yet they were just too much power, and I had to end up using less amp gain than I wanted, changing the whole feel of the tone. I’d like to try these again but experiment with lowering the pickup to reduce signal strength and see if I can keep the tone I wanted intact. For such a hot pickup these have a very good clean tone (they do sound just like EMGs.) It’s another pickup with very friendly EQ curve, definitely good for metal.

Tone Zone: For me this is an “all-rounder” pickup which is great for rock, jazz rock, hard rock, early metal, shred and fusion. TZ is one of my favorite Alnico-based pickups. Add a Tubescreamer into the mix, and it will thrash like Sepultura with no problem. I like the overall EQ curve of this pickup, it’s just warm enough, has a good amount of treble, but it’s not a “tight” pickup by any means. It’s very sensitive to pickup height.

Super 3: Some of my favorite metal recordings were done on the Super 3. On paper, it seems like a great idea for a pickup catered to metal players. However, I like my treble, and this pickup has little of it. When I turn up the highs on my amp, it’s not the same. But the mids! Loads of mids, too much for my taste. I struggled to get a sound I liked from the Super 3, everything was always too warm and “congested.” The output is right on the borderline for me as well. It reminds me a lot of a Tone Zone - but hotter and much less high end than I like. A great example of how pickups can alter your tone. I was surprised I preferred the TZ to Super 3. It’s just not for me, I’ll leave others to do cool things with this pickup.

Super Distortion: Not as tight as Super 3… but here’s an EQ curve I can work with. This is a very good pickup that has just the right amount of treble. There’s enough output where you can dirty-boost it with a Tubescreamer up to a decent setting without getting a mushy muddy mess. The amount of bass and mids is pleasing and it proudly shows that “old school metal” flavor, but there are a lot of players in newer styles like metal-core (Whitechapel for example) that use, or have used the Super D. What I like about this pickup is it lets you depend on your hands and the amp! Sure it’s not as “tight” as some of the other Dimarzios but it’s definitely worth looking into for every kind of rock or metal. Randy Rhoads used it, so you have to check it out  8)

Evolution: My favorite Dimarzio pickup I have tried thus far. I have replaced all my X2Ns with Evolutions. The amount of output is perfect for boosting an amp with a Tubescreamer to get into extreme metal territory – better dynamics and, less hot than D-Activators, but it sure doesn’t sound like it. There is enough bass to have control over the bottom end, and always remain TIGHT. There seems to be more treble than a Super Distortion but just enough to where the tone is always clear and crisp. Along with that special midrange, Evolution cuts through better than any Dimarzio I have yet tried. If you know “technical” metal bands like Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Deeds Of Flesh, Coroner, Necrophagist etc., you know how they switch from rhythms to leads on a dime, and how even some of the rhythm parts are like solos in themselves? This pickup is just perfect for that style of tight and aggressive metal playing. Great cleans as well.

I still want to try the D-Sonic, Steve’s Special, and Crunch Lab.
One of these days I’ll also compare EVO 2 to the Tone Zone.

Quick neck pickup for metal rundown, of the neck pu’s I have used:
Air Norton: Great match for a not-that-high output pickup like Tone Zone, but PAF Pro has that tone that I prefer more, with more output juice.
Breed Neck: Used to be my main neck pickup when I used the X2N. I love this pickup, it’s so fun to play. Under a lot of gain in fast playing it has a cool overwhelming “bassy” note blurring effect. I tend to prefer PAF Pro or EVO neck more nowadays as I need less output.
D-Activator neck: Great for shredding too, but like the fatter Breed neck tone better. Has a strange compressor-like squashing effect under too much gain, but it’s still awesome. The “X” version does not have enough treble to satisfyingly cut through IMO.
Super 2: Very good tone, however even more output than D-Activator neck, and with too much gain it feels out-of-control during solos like all the dynamics are gone. Again it’s a question of how much output you need.
Liquifire: Definite Petrucci vibe, if you like his tone get this. You can hear there are more mids, less bass and treble than the usual neck pickup, sure it’s good, but not as aggressive tone for me as I like for the neck to be.
PAF Pro: Great treble cutting tone, a classic shredder pickup, only second in favorite to the next one on the list.
EVO Neck: It’s right in the middle of the PAF Pro and Breed Neck, just enough output to facilitate easy shredding and is more tight and articulate on high gain than PAF Pro and Air Norton. Just like the EVO bridge it’s an addictive soloing pickup and does clean great.

Hope that was informative for you guys on the hunt for pickups  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:18:38 AM by BlasphemyMadeFlesh »
"I don't understand what's wrong with this amp, even with the gain all the way up the tone is still muddy as hell"

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
Wow, this is great!!!! Many thanks for your impressions.
Was a great read!  :)

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Killer post, welcome!  :)

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
Btw, your post makes me want to buy Evolutons!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:51:20 AM by Schneidas »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah man let me elaborate and say that there's 3 things I like most about Evolutions:

- they appear to be one of the first production model pickups that took the best characteristics of pickups like the X2N and EMGs and put it in a passive format. They are tight, clear, articulate, aggressive, lively sounding passive pups that respond to your playing and clean up well too. A D-Activator-esque pickup, before the D-Activator was designed.

- they are not as high-output as other popular aftermarket "metal 'n' shred" pickups, yet they still give you enough power. In fact, it's much easier to "mush-out" the older Super Distortion with a Tubescreamer boost than an EVO bridge. There's enough headroom for dynamics and great cleans, but they let me use my Maxon OD-9 with the drive at 9 o'clock and level maxed + healthy levels of amp gain, and get a perfect and clear brutal metal tone for rhythms or solos with no flub or farty palm mutes. On my Jackson Rhoads RR5 with the Super D I could not say that, I have to ease back on the OD-9, but that is a "fatter" as opposed to tighter pickup anyway. Pickups with an output rating of 400 mV are perfect for me because that is the output level that helps achieve that overdrive pedal + amp gain tone recipe I like.

- The EQ curve is awesome. Tightness reminds me of the Super 3, there is less bass than a Super D but just enough, and (to my ears) there are just enough highs, you can say it is definitely not a "dark" sounding pickup at all. The highs on this pup remind me of the "Process" control on a BBE Sonic Maximizer when set just right. There are enough mids that if you use a post-fx loop graphic EQ to (reasonably!) scoop and tailor your tone, EVO bridge supports it very well. Then again, I like speakers like Eminence Legend v128s and Celestion GK12-100s that have a more neutral EQ curve compared to V30s and GT-75s so they may help tame some of the extremities I am hearing in my Dimarzios, and balance others.

I don't know how people can say EVOs aren't good for metal... however, I keep an open mind and consider the fact that it may depend on what type of metal you play, and what your definition of metal is. I'm very curious to compare EVOs to D-Sonic and Crunch Lab (390 mV and 410 mV respectively.)

I was playing my RG1570 with the Tone Zone last night and realized how great of an all-round pickup it is, in terms of "heaviness" it can do everything AC/DC, Van Halen, 80s metal up to early thrash like Slayer's "Show No Mercy" without a problem. Through a Marshall this pickup sounds just like classic Deep Purple or "Stained Class" Priest era tones. But, I am going to try a Steve's Special in this guitar because the Tone Zone is a bit too "old school" for me, and I have wanted to try a Steve's Special since I learned that Petrucci used it on "Awake" (my first exposure to DT back in the day, and my favorite DT album.) I'll definitely post up a thread when I get the chance to try D-Sonic, Steve's Special and Crunch Lab models.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:05:40 PM by BlasphemyMadeFlesh »
"I don't understand what's wrong with this amp, even with the gain all the way up the tone is still muddy as hell"

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
Cool post.  I've used a bunch of DMZ's over the years. 

X2N was one of my favorites, and I'll own one again sometime.  Very even EQ - but I wouldn't say it let the quality/tone of the guitar through?!?!?!?!?!?  A prime piece of Korina or a two by four would all sound the same IMO.  That said - I did the Series/Parallel/split wiring as suggested; BAD@$$!!!!!  Go from meltdown to clean, and a kind of Texas hot start with a switch.

I loved slamming that into my Pro Jr. and pimp slapping the tubes into next week!

Tone Zone and Super D….I like the Tone Zone a lot.  But always keep coming back to the SuperD.  Just hot enough with just enough highs, more open.  Just a great classic sound.

Cool post!

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
Oh yeah - these days, with the gobbs of gain on tap with most any amp, I think lower output generally (not always) gives better articulation/tone etc….unless you need a certain amount of compression and a particular eq curve coming off the guitar.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Indeed a very cool first post, thanks for sharing.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Depends on the amp's tone as well. Some amps are inherently dark, some brighter. So pickups may have to be chosen based on your existing rig

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Hey glad to see another person turn from forum lurker to member! Many thanks for sharing your insights with the various pickups. From the sounds of it, I think you would be someone who would really like the Gravity Storm pickups.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Oh yeah - these days, with the gobbs of gain on tap with most any amp, I think lower output generally (not always) gives better articulation/tone etc….unless you need a certain amount of compression and a particular eq curve coming off the guitar.
I agree. This is why I use moderate output pups in most cases. That being said, I had an X2N in my MG70 Washburn back in the day and it was a BEAST!!! In the number two position combined with the middle single coil it sounded great clean. Through my old MP1 or Twin tube preamp in high gain, it was lethal, but never inarticulate. At least not with the maple cap.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else