EJ custom bridge in neck position(?)

• 8 Replies

Offline Dvir

• View Profile
EJ custom bridge in neck position(?)
« on: March 13, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
Anyone got any experience with that? Mahagony body with rosewood fretboard, going to put an AT-1 in the bridge position. Should I take the EJ bridge or neck model?

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
Re: EJ custom bridge in neck position(?)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
I have that exact combo in an HSH strat, it sounds great in the neck frankly one of the best sounding neck HB's I have ever tried and balances great with the AT-1

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm always surprised when people get all "Can I put a bridge humbucker in the bridge?!?!?!?!  Will the world explode????"

Bridge  pups, compared to the neck in modern sets are:
- usually a little baser
- usually a touch hotter
- maybe a bit less treble

So if you want a little more bass, a little more juice, and a maybe a touch less treble, sounds like a great idea to me!

Obviously this does not apply to scorching hot bridge hum buckers….

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »
yeah back in the old days neck and bridge HB's had the same specs and strat pups were all the same output. A note to the OP, I also installed a series/paralell/split mini switch on the AT-1 also a TBX tone control and treble bleed circuit, it really adds versatility to the combo.
Mine is a mahogany body strat, maple neck HSH.

Offline Dvir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:33:48 AM »
I'm always surprised when people get all "Can I put a bridge humbucker in the bridge?!?!?!?!  Will the world explode????"

- usually a little baser
- usually a touch hotter

So if you want a little more bass, a little more juice, and a maybe a touch less treble, sounds like a great idea to me!

The question wasn't really about putting a bridge pickup in the neck position but how would it fit with an AT-1 in the bridge. Also, since I'm not from the US I can't use the 30 day change policy so I have to be sure to buy what's best for me

Offline jule7625

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
AT1 + True Velvet + Eric Johnson (bridge).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1JTEZkhmY&feature=youtu.be

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »

- usually a little baser
- usually a touch hotter

^^^ This ^^^

Just consider the tone/voice/EQ and the output

Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 04:33:01 AM »
yeah back in the old days neck and bridge HB's had the same specs and strat pups were all the same output.

This is correct.

There is no rule that says you cannot use a bridge pickup in the neck position. Being a "bridge" pickup first of all implies that it was designed to be used in the bridge position. The only thing to keep in mind is that the string vibration is greater in the neck position so you can use a lower output pickup there to get a more balanced sound with the bridge pickup. Insofar AT-1 in the bridge an EJ bridge in the neck should work well.

But a "balanced" sound insofar is most relevant if you tend to use both pickups with the same amp settings. For people who use the neck pickup for cleans only and the bridge for distorted only the balance of the set may be totally irrelevant. Same thing for people that use the neck pickup only for leads in the upper registers of the fretboard and the bridge for rhythm tones - with that goal in mind you could use a PAF in the bridge and e.g. a Super Distortion in the neck. So the most important thing is "what do I want to get out of this guitar that my current set up does not give me?"

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
The question wasn't really about putting a bridge pickup in the neck position but how would it fit with an AT-1 in the bridge. Also, since I'm not from the US I can't use the 30 day change policy so I have to be sure to buy what's best for me

oh - no idea?!?!?!?!  I don't do the AT-1 !!!!!