In Praise of the Dimarzio PAF MASTER

• 5 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
In Praise of the Dimarzio PAF MASTER
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
 :madness:

One of the greatest bridge  pickups, if not THE greatest  I have ever ever had.

Now, I have a lot of Superstrats. One is Walnut, and the Graviy Storm was perfect- really gave the harsh edge of the Walnut a sweet and buttery sound, but sitll having a famous Dimarzio  cutting edge.

Then for my other Jackson, an Alder MIJ, the Breed Bridge gave it a raw and aggressive sound, , but in no way strident.

And now, for my other Jackson Alder MIJ, the PAF MASTER is astonishing. Very percussive note immediacy for noodles and shred riffs. Sweet
and cutting sound  but with the glorious PAF tone underlying.A masterpiece of a pickup.

Man-O-man, I'm just a huge huge Dimarzio Fan Boi!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:07:12 PM by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline DKSEARS

• View Profile
Re: In Praise of the Dimarzio PAF MASTER
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
Cool!  I have a PAF master waiting to go into the bridge of my Sambora Strat.  I'm thinking it should match up better with the Texas Specials than original modified version of the PAF Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
^ Awesome. Over the long run, I'd ditch the Specials and either go with Virtual Heavy Dimarzios fpor some heavy stock Start tones, or better yet, Gilbert Injectors. They woiuld work best with the  heavy PAF sounding bridge IMO.
Me Myself, I'd go Chopper! :madness:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:13:08 PM by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
It seemed to be an interesting set and had some unique qualities that I can definitely see people wanting. I wanted to like the set, but at the end of the day it didn't quite suit my needs... Which was a bummer.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:15 AM »
I listened to the sound samples Paul Gilbert recorded on Youtube. They sounded a bit thin and ice-picky harsh to me in that video. How would you guys describe the tone of the PAF Master set from first hand experience?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »
Sort of throaty and big in the lows and low mids with smooth highs. Actually, I found the Gilbert video to be a pretty good representation, although I didn't hear it as thin or ice picky.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram