Evolution set in mahogany Ibanez RG

• 6 Replies

Offline Whistler

• View Profile
Evolution set in mahogany Ibanez RG
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
Hi, after quite a lot of research, I'm still after some advice to which pickups to put in my RG570 mhsol.

It's a mahogany body with a 1pc maple neck and rosewood finger board.

I have my heart set on an Evolution set as I've listen to a few sound clips of various pickups but my concern is that the Ibanez Jems are basswood. Would there be much difference in the sound between the two different bodies? 

Any other pickup recommendations given the information above.

Sorry if this has all been discussed to death but really could do with some advice before I pull the trigger on the Evolutions.

Thanks in advance👍👍

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Evolution set in mahogany Ibanez RG
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »
Yes. There is a difference between basswood and mahogany. They type of mahogany can also be a difference. There are also many other factors as well. Maybe do a little research on the woods as well as Google. The Suhr site used to have an excellent breakdown of how the different woods sounded with relation to guitars.

But generally speaking, basswood is totally balanced/flat. In many instances, it is chosen for being light weight. It's pretty soft.

Mahogany is generally a little richer and fuller sounding. Some people consider it to be bass-y, but I've only experience that with a mahogany body that has a mahogany neck. Maple necks can balance it out, as well as the quality of the mahogany (cheap wood doesn't always sound as good as a better selection that might cost more...it just depends).

I don't see a huge concern over mahogany being really bassy and tubby in an application like this. A difference?  Sure. But most people find that although you can add girth to a bright guitar, you cannot remove the low end from a guitar with a pickup selection. Just find something that accentuates what you are working with.

Be judicious when listening to sound clips to factor in that players style, whatever amp they are using, the recording conditions, and any effects being used that might distract from the real pickup tone.

For starters, what is it about the pickups in there now that you want more or less of?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Whistler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »
For starters, what is it about the pickups in there now that you want more or less of?

First of all, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. The pickups are the original QM1/QMS1/QM2 from when I bought the guitar in 1996. They just seem a bit lifeless now compared to "proper" dimarzio pups.

I'd like the sound to cut through a bit more and also more output. Not interested in rhythm, just lead tones. Hope this makes sense. :)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »
The Evos in mahogany would work well. Basswood is pretty neutral in tone compared to mahogany which has more of a hump in the mid range. It'll do nicely to offset some of the brittle top end on the Evo.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline finest1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
EVO set or the Breed set.  Breeds are amazing pickups! i've got them in an ibanez 550. it also depends on what style of music you are looking to play. but if you are starting off, i'd look at the medium powered pickups as you'd get a blend of power and cleans. you will find that any dimarzio pickups will be an improvement to the current pickups. while you are in there, assess the wiring and volume pots.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:55:24 PM »
I like the Breeds in a basswood RG, but I did not like them in a Mahogany PRS I tried them in. Could have been the 25" scale instead of the wood type... I don't know.

You never said what tones you were after or what type of music you play.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:51:57 AM »
Evo Set should be amazing in good quality Mahagony....