DiMarzio Ionizer 7 vs Illuminator 7 | Comparison

• 4 Replies

Offline Art Rodriguez

• View Profile
    • Art Rodriguez's myspace site
DiMarzio Ionizer 7 vs Illuminator 7 | Comparison
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:07:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I changed the Ionizers that I had in my Jeff Loomis and took the oportunity to record a comparison between the Ionizer Bridge and the Illuminator Bridge.

Which of them do you prefer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3hRugrhDM

Offline sveto

• View Profile
Re: DiMarzio Ionizer 7 vs Illuminator 7 | Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »
Wow, nice comparison, and tight playing as well, Art! Sadly, no solo comparison. :)

I clearly prefer the Ionizer7 - more character and more beautiful tone. The Illuminator on palm mutes sounds like somebody hits a tin barrel, sorry (reminds me of old heavy metal sounds). I never understood why most reviews of the Illuminator left me disgusted of the sound, but there it is again.

I have the Ionizer7 in my Apex100 and love it. It even healed my allergy against ceramic magnets, LOL. It seems this set can do it all. Time will tell.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
Not a huge difference to my ears; its mostly in the mids. Ionizer has a lower midfocus compared to the Illuminators. They are also a tad clearer on the distorted arpeggio part. I'd use either one.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
To me the difference is mostly in the attack where the Illuminator seems to be more present. I also hear more clarity in the arpeggiated chords.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Art Rodriguez

• View Profile
    • Art Rodriguez's myspace site
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »
To me the difference is mostly in the attack where the Illuminator seems to be more present. I also hear more clarity in the arpeggiated chords.

Cheers Stephan

I agree.

Both are great pickups!

Thank you for the comments, guys :)