Is it just me or...

• 6 Replies

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Is it just me or...
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
When I use a FRED in the bridge with heavy overdrive or distortion and the high strings picked hard, the pickup seems to emphasise the high end/upper midrange even more so than say picking softer?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:44:30 AM »
Unfortunately it's too long ago that I had a Fred in the bridge position of a guitar. I do not remember the phenomenon you described but that may also have been due to the guitar and/or my playing at that time.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »
From what I remember of the product description, it sort of sounds like that is normal for the pickup. Or....it could also be your picking style when going to hard picking.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 04:10:42 AM »
From what I remember of the product description, it sort of sounds like that is normal for the pickup. Or....it could also be your picking style when going to hard picking.

Well, it is more apparent whenever you have more gain on. It's actually quite the opposite to say your typical humbucker, whereby it gets smoother as you turn up the gain

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »
Yeah, I have a FRED. Nothing has come across as unusual or problematic.

Do you think it's just a matter of a difference voice or do you think there's a problem with the pickup? 

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:24:59 AM »
Yeah, I have a FRED. Nothing has come across as unusual or problematic.

Do you think it's just a matter of a difference voice or do you think there's a problem with the pickup?

I guess it's purely a matter of personal taste, not to mention it depends on what rig you are running through. Many of my amps are harmonic rich, to which they have this upper harmonic haze to the tone. That being said, unless I'm hearing things, the FRED seems to emphasise a particular upper midrange harmonic frequency that makes it stand out, even with the tone knob rolled off. Sometimes I'm just like to wonder and think if there was something more tame than that. Some have suggested the PAF Pro

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »
Isn't the FRED the one that has something in the product description about the harmonics?  I thought it's one of Satriani's pickups that do...I just don't have the site up in front of me right now.