Injector hum

• 8 Replies

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
Injector hum
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
Hey guys I installed an injector neck in my guitar today and it's humming like crazy, not exactly the "noiseless strat" sound I was expecting. I tried rewiring it and same result, loud hum. I have the black and white wires soldered together and the red to hot and the green to ground. Any thoughts? Thanks

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
Re: Injector hum
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:27:25 PM »
Sorry the tapatalk app posted this four times >:(

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 03:03:16 AM »
The wiring as described is correct. Just to clarify: the other pickups in the guitar do not hum? Do you have a separate volume control for the Injector?

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
Thanks Stephan. The other pickup is a HB and quiet. I only have one volume, maybe it's a bad switch or worse, a bad pickup

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
In that case it cannot be the volume control or both pickups would hum.

Forgot to ask the first time - the Injector does not have a bare wire, right? If it does this wire needs to go to ground - if it goes to hot then it would pick up all kinds of noise.

A bad switch is easy to test - reverse the connections of the bridge and neck pickups - if it's the switch the bridge pickup will hum and the neck pickup will be quiet.

Does it hum with both pickups on?

Did you tape off the black and white wire? -Iif that connection touches ground or hot then the pickup operates in single coil mode and will hum.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
Thanks for the help! It turned out a bit of solder made its way into the switch and was causing the neck pu to not go to ground.
Now I just need to find some time to play the new Injector ;D

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »
Glad you found it. Now it's time to rock that axe.

Cheers Stephan

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
So I went to plug it in today and no sound comes from either pickup and the guitar hums when I touch anything metal on it. I might just end up redoing all the wiring ugh

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »
I redid everything today and found that the hum was coming from the injector. I wired it straight to the jack and it hums like a standard single coil. Should I send it back to Dimarzio?