Curiosity kills the cat it seems...

• 5 Replies

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Curiosity kills the cat it seems...
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:45:40 AM »
Hey guys. Just starting up a general discussion about the Dimarzio FRED. Please share with me your experiences. I have a Dimarzio FRED installed in the bridge of one of my superstrats. Just wondering based on the vast knowledge on here, is there an alternative Dimarzio pickup that may have a slightly different tone to the FRED? I was thinking if there is a pickup that has less of an exaggerated harmonic content. I'm quite happy as it is, especially the brightness of it pairing well with a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck, but curiosity bites hard  ::)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity kills the cat it seems...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:46:34 AM »
PAF Pro.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
Yep. Darkblue nailed it. Paf Pro.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
PAF Pro.

Cheers Stephan

That's what I would have thought. However, it could just be me, but based on my limited experience, those PAF Pros don't seem to have the same drive in the front end like a FRED. You would think the output only a tad higher on the FRED, but it didn't sound like that to me  :o

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »
In the middle of my own pickup quest so I don't speak from hands on experience but how about the Mo Joe?

IMO, it just sounds like a slightly tweaked FRED. Still has that exaggerated harmonic content that you may or may not like

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:29:32 AM »
I had both in the same guitar which I no longer have (a Floyded basswood body super strat). Both had about the same output. Both sounded good. I liked the PAF Pro a little more since it seemed to balance better with the single coils (two PJ Marx humcancelling pickups).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b