Cruiser Bridge vs. Cruiser Neck - in neck and middle positions?

• 6 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi all,

From the specs published by Di Marzio it appears that the bridge model has slightly more bass and that's basically it.

Has anybody used both models in the same guitar and can comment, please?

If - like me - one has one model each - which should go in the middle and which should go in the neck position?

At the moment I have the bridge model in the neck position and the neck model in the middle, and that's mainly because my neck model's wire was too short to put it in the neck position, and I did not want to extend the wire at that stage.

Many thanks,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cruiser Bridge vs. Cruiser Neck - in neck and middle positions?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »
Looks like nobody has tried both in the same guitar. When I find the time I will swap the pickups and report on the results.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
I've tried both versions in the neck position. The bridge version is a bit bolder for the lack of better words, but both work great in the neck. IMO, you can't go wrong either way

Offline nynemusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
How does the Cruiser sound clean and how does it behave under hi gain in the neck position.
And how do you find the neck n middle quack on clean tones ?

Wondering what other Bridge humbuckers will balance well with it other than ATI, Norton and Air Zone. A higher output bridge pickup like D-Sonic might be too hot ??
Cheers

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
How does the Cruiser sound clean and how does it behave under hi gain in the neck position.

On its own it has a beautiful glassy clean tone. Under gain it shows excellent sensitivity to pick attack , clarity and warmth.

That tone is OK but in the guitar I put them in I preferred the Area 61s that were in there before for that specific tone. I must say though it is a tone that I do not use much.

Wondering what other Bridge humbuckers will balance well with it other than ATI, Norton and Air Zone. A higher output bridge pickup like D-Sonic might be too hot ??

I don't even think they balance well volume wise with something like the AT-1. I have them in a guitar together with a Chopper T in the bridge and I had to back off the Chopper T a bit to get the output levels balanced. IMHO the Injector neck balances better with hotter bridge pickups.

Cheers Stephan

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:34:04 AM »

Cheers

The Cruiser sounds real good for cleans. Think of it as a bolder sounding single coil. As for the in between sounds, not as quacky and authentic as a classic single coil, but nonetheless still useable

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
The Cruiser sounds real good for cleans. Think of it as a bolder sounding single coil. As for the in between sounds, not as quacky and authentic as a classic single coil, but nonetheless still useable

You described this better than I did.

Cheers Stephan