Single coil to pair with PAF Master

• 8 Replies

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
Single coil to pair with PAF Master
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey guys I recently got a PAF Master bridge for my Kramer striker and was looking for some advice on a neck single coil to go with it. I'm replacing a Breed and Air Norton S now that I've been wanting to play more garage rock/indie pop kind of stuff.
I love the PAF Master, hopefully I can review it soon, and I want "strattier" sound in the neck that will balance with the lower output as well not be too bright with 500k pots.
Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: Single coil to pair with PAF Master
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:59 PM »
Cruiser bridge should be good  8)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:20:38 AM »
Yes, that one or the Cruiser neck.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »
Thanks guys. What about non-rail pickups? I have nothing against rails but prefer the traditional look

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 04:20:34 AM »
Injector neck would be good with 500k pots. Volume balance with the bridge humbucker should not be an issue. You may have to experiment with the height on both pickups though.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
Injector Neck (kinda like a Strattier version of the PAF Pro), Cruiser Bridge (in the neck position, a nice full bodied strat tone) or the Satch Track (think of it as a PAF with more of a Strat vibe)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been listening to some demos of these pickups and was wondering if the cruiser bridge or injector was brighter. My guitar is a bit dark, hence why I opted to take out the breed and air norton

Hugo77

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 04:19:20 AM »
I second the Injector. Got it in my swamp ash Strat which is not bright, but certainly not dark. Therefore I got the bridge version and put it in the middle position. I really like it. My philosophy was that the neck version has more high end to it and would be even brighter in the middle position. The pickup itself sounds great and meaty. Single coil like and yet full and responsive.
Since both Injector and Paf Master are Paul Gilbert's pups of choice, I'm inclined to say they good go well together? Only heard the Paf Master on vids, but my guess would be that it's a better match than the PM with a cruiser. Only remains the choice between a neck or a bridge version. Given that you say your guitar is pretty dark, I'd probably go with a neck version, although a bridge version had slightly more output and less high end.
Choices choices  ;)

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:36:41 PM »
So I went with the Injector Neck, it should be here next week. Thanks!