Di Marzio Virtual Hot PAF bridge + Area 67 neck?

• 3 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Di Marzio Virtual Hot PAF bridge + Area 67 neck?
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Hi,

has anybody ever tried this combination in a guitar?
If so what were the results?
Specifically - can the VHPAF keep up with the Area 67 in terms of brightness?

Many thanks,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Di Marzio Virtual Hot PAF bridge + Area 67 neck?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
I grabbed a VHPAF a few weeks (maybe a month) ago. It's pretty darned bright. Maybe a little edgy, but I'd not call it crisp. Defined and articulate.

Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
I scored a VHPAF (EDIT: it actually is a VPAF bridge) very recently and it arrived yesterday. Put it in today and the first impression is very positive. I first had a SD Screamin Demon in there and while it was OK, I always felt it could not keep up in terms of tone, dynamics and bite with the Area 67. I then put in a Bare Knuckle Black Dog, which was also OK but I also found myself always playing the Area 67. The Black Dog had some kind of nasal quality to it in this particular guitar (I have one in another where it sounds excellent).

I feel the VPAF is a much better partner to the Area 67 than either of the ones it replaced. Gone is any hint of nasalness, and also gone is the slight coldness of the Screamin Demon. It is warm, clear, articulate and has that certain top end bite without being shrill. Very nice.

BTW I use a 500k log volume pot in this guitar, a 250k tone pot with a 0.0022uf cap, and a 24-pole switch that drops the load to 250k when the neck pickup, the bridge pickup split or both pickups combined are selected. The combinations on the Switch are:

#1 Bridge humbucking
#2 bridge neckside coil + neck in parallel
#3 bridge humbucking + neck in parallel
#4 bridge neckside coil
#5 neck

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:10:07 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »
Im about ready to install some VHPAF and VPAF myself, on my strats I usually use either a 500k vol or 250k and TBX tone control.